"Out of Home Advertising": the billboards that spy on you as you move through public spaces

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/21/to-opt-out-just-die-4.html

2 Likes

Stop looking at me, I don’t like it.

9 Likes

The real solution is to make this kind of mass surveillance illegal, and enforcing that regulation with prison time and the dismantling of offending companies.

Fines are just the cost of business.

12 Likes

9 Likes
20 Likes

As long as this is legal, it should be equally legal to plant hidden Bluetooth and WiFi random MAC generators near their receivers.

They may have the right to receive all the data that lands on their antennas, but nothing guarantees them the right to accurate data.

17 Likes

Its creepy enough when you assume all they want to do is sell you sugar water, blue jeans, or something that comes in a paper box.

But once you incorporate all the skeevy shit that fits between the lines: oil wars, domestic spying, political refugees… it gets downright orwellian…

7 Likes

Your financial and social credit is tracked by actively spying on your movement through both public and private spaces. Against your will. With no accountability, oversight, or recourse.

7 Likes

i get the financal component (credit score) but i’m curious what is my “social credit” score? My likes here on BB?

stories like this are why i’m getting into podcasts - i put my phone in airplane mode and just listen while commuting / doing chores/errands.

you can just turn the phone off even!

2 Likes

Alaska doesn’t tolerate billboards.

It’s a good system.

9 Likes

7 Likes

It still has an IMEI address and it can still be tracked.

5 Likes

Yes it can. But it is not part of the tracking parameters of the advertisers in the article.

4 Likes

Though proxied GSM APs are a standard tactic of advertisers in this domain.

But anyway, 2G is unlikely to work on a modern network.

3 Likes

I like it. A lot.

Billboards should be illegal everywhere, esp the video ones.

6 Likes

The other morning on my commute I briefly caught a glimpse of a giant glowing cube traveling on the freeway in the opposite direction from me, taking an off ramp. While I didn’t get a good look, it appeared to be a cube truck outfitted with LED billboard panels on the back and sides. It was just before dawn, but the panels were glowing as brightly as if it was midday. It was so bright I couldn’t even make out what they were trying to display.

Traffic was heavy in that area, but it’s normal for there to be a slowdown there anyway, so I couldn’t directly blame the truck. But I certainly wouldn’t be surprised to learn if that truck left a row of crashes in its wake.

I have only seen it the one time. I’m hoping it was immediately pulled over by a cop and red-tagged by a commercial vehicle inspector before the driver made it another mile. And I hope the owner was ticketed for distracting the drivers of every crash within a quarter mile radius of its path that morning.

4 Likes

Chaff Box

• An app to confuse wifi MAC trackers by picking up announced MAC addresses from passing phones, then spoofing a list of those MAC addresses in AP polling packets, ruining the location tracking.
  • Multiple Chaff Boxes will tend to exchange MAC addresses, spreading the confusion.
  • A Raspberry PiZW could do it with a patch for monitor mode, but a phone app would be more useful.
7 Likes

I can say for sure that 2G does work on networks in the US.

Ah interesting. It was shut down here a few years back.