Owning a pet raccoon sounds like an exhausting pain in the ass

Nightmare fuel

5 Likes

Ooh that happened to my former sister in law and one fell down into the walls without anyone knowing they had been up there. The house stunk horribly and they had to hire a contractor to fix the damage to the rotten carcass wall and the roof, as well as someone to trap the remaining racoons.

5 Likes

Yep. Had to pay for trapping , what they tore up (including part of the chimney outside), fixing the roof - and disinfecting the area.

7 Likes

Yep. I think he may be your neighbor.

6 Likes

And he tells a cautionary tale of having a pet raccoon in that book as well!

Squirrels did this to my attic.

4 Likes

Been there done that.
We adopted a orphaned Raccoon, “Rocky” .
Probably the cutest little baby animal I have ever helped. Very intelligent and curious, able to use its little hands to get into and out of almost anything, even baby proof latches.
Within a year the little 2 pounder was 12 pounds, and “he” became a “she” and now called Raquel.
Living way out in Clayton Ca. there was a very healthy wild population of Raccoons who would come by and chatter at her.
Perhaps with the help of her tribe she made a brake to feedom.
For a few years after, she would bring her baby cubs by to show off.
They start off as kittens and grow into pigmy bears.

17 Likes

I always assume that if you keep a pet with hands it will eventually learn how to operate the deadbolt and the can opener, rendering the human unnecessary.

11 Likes

The fact that he called Rocket a rabbit the entire film was killing me.

14 Likes

“The rabbit is right…”

5 Likes

Clearly, she was bring you some fuzzy grandcubs for you to beam over!

10 Likes

And Rocket never really corrects him, because he can’t believe what he’s hearing.

6 Likes

I heard someone giving their raccoon a vaccination. They kept the raccoon occupied with a bit of food while the vet was doing the injection. When it occurred, the raccoon’s eyes went wide and he reached over to his backside and pulled the syringe out with his own paw. So, yeah, trouble.

11 Likes

Rented a house once that had an enclosed patio-type area with fiberglass corrugated roofing. One day we woke up to our kitchen a muddy mess. Turns out, one raccoon would lift up a loose area of the roof, and the rest would run in and enter our house via the dog door. They’d make a huge mess with the cat’s water, but for some reason, never stepped out of the kitchen onto our white carpet.

3 Likes

fat-raccoon

14 Likes

I dunno for me I’d prefer to be rewilded by a trash panda.

They’ve always been my favorite animal.

10 Likes

Raccoons, seagulls, and humans. Three trash eating animals that aren’t worth domesticating.

4 Likes

strong text I’ve owned two. They make for great pets.

13 Likes

Welcome! And (some of us) welcome our future Raccoon overloads!

6 Likes

I’ve known a couple people who had pet raccoons and I don’t think house living is really good for them physically either. All the pets I’ve seen have been anywhere from a bit overweight to obese. I’m assuming that wild foraging probably keeps them fitter than if they get food just handed to them on a plate.

5 Likes