Owning a pet raccoon sounds like an exhausting pain in the ass

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/06/owning-a-pet-raccoon-sounds-li.html

9 Likes

I imagine having a pet raccoon is a lot like managing programmers.

14 Likes

They’re cute when you first hire them but quickly change. Don’t let them climb all over you. It may seem cute when one nibbles your ear but that can get out of hand fast.

17 Likes

My grandmother had one. It used to like to play with her typewriter - and wrestle the cat.

10 Likes

Man they can be a real pain in the ass and they can be sarcastic assholes. I know this one that has a habit of stealing prosthetic body parts … he finds it hilarious.

The worst is when they build bombs and leave the parts all over the place.

29 Likes

Trash panda as a pet? No, nope, NO!

7 Likes

Owning a pet dinosaur seems even more exhausting: https://youtu.be/oE4J2WFzPeI
(so exhausting that this guy can’t deliver the other episodes he promised 3 years ago)

6 Likes

We’ve been at this humanity thing for what, about a million years? Anything that can be domesticated has been domesticated. Do not pet the varmints.

6 Likes

Sounds like a cat.

10 Likes

That sounds like a programmer allright.

8 Likes

11 Likes

Thank you sweet rabbit…

17 Likes

Too much thoughtful, sweet, and informative dude speaking, not enough trash panda in the frame.

8 Likes

Steven Boyett wrote The Architect of Sleep; an alternate history novel in which humans never evolved, but raccoons developed an advanced culture.

8 Likes

As I understand it, they do tend to get fat, as the guy mentioned: it is pretty hard to feed them an appropriate diet in captivity.

All said though there are worse animals people have kept as pets. Big primates (baboons, chimpanzees) for example: very unpredictable, aggressive, can take your whole arm off. But cute as babies, like raccoons.

6 Likes
2 Likes

According to my vet, they are close to dogs in their requirements. Not that I fed a crippled raccoon over a winter to help it survive because I couldn’t trap it to take it to a rehabber or anything.

4 Likes

We have a family of them living in a tree nearby. The young ones provide plenty of entertainment. Tree bandits.

Having one as a pet? NOPE.

3 Likes

You do not want them pulling a hole in your roof to live in your attic. Not fun.

9 Likes

raccoons-in-the-attic

17 Likes