Owning a pet raccoon sounds like an exhausting pain in the ass

Last week I had the chance to experience that year multiplied by five!

HARD PASS.

4 Likes

and at that point you might lose the dogs.

1 Like

It’s not legal but, I’ve re-located a ground hog or two on the down-low to local state parks. Shhhhhhh.

Not too worried about the family they will disperse soon enough and the foxes will thin them out along the way.

3 Likes

“a lot of people think raccoons are all innocent and cute”
Not a lot of people who have ever actually encountered a raccoon, I hope.

I forsee trouble when he tries to put that raccoon on a diet.

1 Like

I was growing more and more panicky/hypochondriacky as I read through the list of carriers species (raccoons, chickens, foxes, SKUNKS!), because that pretty much described the majority population of the neighborhood. Then I saw “…eggs are very
resistant to environmental conditions, especially in m.o.i.s.t.
soil. Although they can be killed eventually by extreme heat
and dryness…”

Whew! I’m way too cheap to water my yard. Those eggs will die here.

I learned pet raccoons are a bad idea at least 9 years ago:

4 Likes

What is the material strapped onto the tiles?

2 Likes

Adult raccoons are as if you could cross a dog with a cat, and the resulting animal felt utterly unconstrained by human wants and desires. Great capabilities to wreak havoc on the clean, the orderly, the predictable. Everyone I know who has tried to keep one has said something along the lines of ‘it was great when they were little, then became totally unmanageable.’

3 Likes

Take a walk on the wild side.

(Couldn’t help it)

2 Likes

I would never adopt a trash panda. Those things are unbelievably strong for their size, and we still have problems with them tearing up shingles and burrowing into the attic for shelter.

However, I’ve been known to nurture a sweet, lovable possumuss or 12:

5 Likes

You should teach it to bounty hunt, for some extra income.

2 Likes

I’d like to see more foxes in my life. So I got chickens.

3 Likes

If you thought ferrets were bad, sounds like they scale up, and these ones have thumbs.

1 Like

They’re not for everyone. Non omnia possumus omnes.

2 Likes

I’d never want a racoon for a pet and I totally get the guy’s frustration, but damn that trash panda is cute.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m always torn when I run into them: “You are beautiful, and your hands are so lovely. Do you play the piano? Just let me touch your ear tips…”

But the instinct for self-preservation overrides the enormous temptation to feed it peanut butter and apples, and instead I pick up stick, then hiss through my teeth and chase them away.

Here is a photo of the weathervane I used to scare the Raccoons.
The marbles are “cats eye” glass that picks up the light and glows.

6 Likes

Magnificent.

It’s all in those eyes…

1 Like

I love the cat. I was wondering about the silvery material strapped to the roof tiles, though. What is it?

2 Likes