Oxford university Covid vaccine, cheap and easy to store, is 70-90% effective

So, as @docosc wrote, released millions of doses prior to doing efficacy testing.

Not what most people would consider an ethical practice.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure about that. For this vaccine for example a lower first dosis seems to be more effective than a full first dosis, probably because that mimics a real world infection more closely. Blasting the immune system with too much different stuff at once might be similarly counterproductive.

1 Like

This is the problem with science by press release. Yes, the results look good, but without seeing exactly where those numbers came from, it is impossible to interpret any farther than what they have said. I doubt that they are outright lying, but I would be unsurprised to find the numbers were interpreted in the most favorable way possible.

2 Likes

I see it more as “cheaper and more stable, without the “just-possible in the first world” logistic issues.” Sending gobs of more effective, but needs -80c storage vaccine to Senegal where it will rot is rather less effective than sending a slightly less effective vaccine that can actually make it to where it needs to go and protect people. YMMV.

1 Like

No doubt my ignorance on this topic is complete. Despite the fact that I have been a social media user, I have not acquired the expertise in epidemiology and vaccinations that some of my relatives seem to think they have.

I’m just in favour of not catching the virus and will do whatever I can to make that a reality for me.

2 Likes

At this point I do want to highlight the following words in my preceding comment

And they haven’t tested for interactions, which are a distinct possibility when you’re introducing antigens and mRNA. If you’ve programmed the immune system to attack anything that looks like X, then give it a bunch of things that look like X to attack, best case is that the mRNA vaccine could make the antigen vaccine ineffective. Bad case is that the programmed immune system attacks the antigen and is too busy to fight an actual infection, making the cocktail less effective than the individual vaccines. Worst case, the immune system attacks the antigen and causes a systemic cascade reaction causing massive bleeding or clotting, and you die.

Yeah, let them test interactions first, OK?

1 Like

You with your reasoned debating positions and logical self awareness of our human limitations. You need to spend more time on Facebook, where you can click your way to certainty.

/s (if it wasn’t obvious)

2 Likes

And the Chief Investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial, but then he goes on to express gratitude to the researchers and volunteers around the world.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.