Pagan Kennedy's NY Times piece on collective vs. personal health becomes "New Rule" on Real Time

Are you basing this on one particular rebuttal to someone suggesting they’d love to have him work in the fields with them? Hard to believe that a guy who used to be on a show called ‘Politically Incorrect’ would say outrageous things that piss people off.

I honestly think the guy’s mostly terrible, but that his views often intersect with those of more reasonable people. It’s weird to me that he’s had this long of a career based on pissing people off.

If you read the second list, you’d see he has a history of saying pretty racist, sexist, and islamophobic things.

And yes, I see no reason for white people to use the n word. Sleeping with black women doesn’t get you a pass on that bullshit.

5 Likes

Strom Thurmond: bigoted monster or edgy free-thinker who was just ahead of his time?

6 Likes

Someone opened a literal Nanny State on the border, so, we can talk pinko to full red again if we want to. Do we?

1 Like

Everyone knows that ticks and mosquitos get stopped by the doormen of exclusive condos, that insects turn around at the entrance to a gated community, and that microbes dare not enter a sovereign citizen’s compound.

All except Prince Prospero…“The prince had provided all the appliances of pleasure. There were buffoons, there were improvisatori, there were ballet-dancers, there were musicians, there was Beauty, there was wine. All these and security were within. Without was the ‘Red Death’.”

2 Likes

Iirc he often references pretty dodgy “science” to bolster these things as well. Including questionable racial science about blacks and IQ and the sort of “it’s just science man” claims about women in the work place that got that google guy fired.

The greater context of your comment is based in some specific claims. The same specific claims that Maher has been criticised for spreading. Essentially what your saying is that you refuse to have a discussion that doesn’t accept statements you’ve made and proceed from there.

It’s disingenuous to say Maher isn’t anti-vax when he has and promotes the default anti-vax position. Even if you agree with him on that front. Even loosely.

And while Maher’s statement on individual health matters mattering less in the face of environmental impacts may be roughly true. He appears to have borrowed it from someone with a less ideological relationship to reality.

Which is rather typical of Maher. He pretty uncritically accepts these sorts of things. Only in so far as they conform to his preconceived beliefs. In this case his environmentalism. Even when it may conflict with his other beliefs (real medicine bad, alt medicine good). And he does so chiefly when and because it allows him to stake out a position of supposed intellectual and moral superiority. So he can shit on other people and call them idiots.

When criticized on these fronts he uses a standard and well worn series of defenses. “just a comedian”, “not anti-vax, concerned about this one anti-vax thing”, “not racist check out my black friend”, “not anti-muslim, just anti religion/athiest”.

I don’t think the guy should get credit for aping some one with a valid point to score sick burns when he’s otherwise so antagonistic to facts.

5 Likes

not what I said. You clearly cannot respecting my stance on the subject. Have a nice day.

If there’s a “Dead Pool”-style list of public figures who are at high likelihood of being exposed as sexual predators by the #MeToo movement I’d lay down pretty good odds on Maher.

5 Likes

I’m really sick of these “me too has gone too far” comments. Fuck their feelings. Rape isn’t fucking romance, neither is sexual assault fucking flirting.

NZQhi

10 Likes

And written by science journalists instead of scientists as in days past. A recent article, “The Secret Life of the Sun,” was written by a literary-novelist-wannabee, who larded the article with lots of “memorable” prose that obscured the science in the damn piece. Science, for laymen and scientists alike, should be written about clearly. Yet the author had won various “science journalist awards,” which doesn’t bode well for the field.

I sent SA an email of complaint. Needless to say I got no answer. I will think carefully when it’s time to renew.

1 Like

More like “sciency journalish words”.

Update: rant in progress:

A recent article, “The Secret Life of the Sun,”

Ooo, oh – “Secret Life” – oh, do tell all – yes, peel aware the chromosphere, oh yeah … that’s it … show it now, shine bright for me baby … oh, you’re a bad little photosphere, aren’t you … a bad little photosphere … don’t stop now – spread that cross-section diagram all the way down to your hot, hot core, you naughty glowing gasbag …!"

5 Likes

The entire genre of “how dare you hold me accountable for my actions” and think pieces about the damage we cause by holding people accountable for their actions is enraging.

4 Likes

Ha! Actually it was about the sun’s “mother” (I am not making that up – that’s the term the author used); i.e., previous stars that created heavy elements through supernovas etc., which then became part of our sun’s makeup (as well as the planets’).

At least I think that’s what it was about. The article was pretty hard to understand.

2 Likes

I think he is pretty funny and that he makes valid points more often than not. The rest you just have to take with a grain of salt.

I watch clips… sometimes.
My final straw with the show was when he agreed with Snoop about nun vagina curing the problems that the Catholic church has with pedophilia.
I don’t need ideas like that in my life.

3 Likes

I’d say one of the foremost modern minds of the early 19th1) century.

1) You heard read me.

Being against some vaccinations is not anti-vax. Most people shouldn’t get most vaccinations.

1 Like

which vaccinations fall into the category of “most” which most people shouldn’t get?

2 Likes

That was Melissa Jenny McCarthy’s stated position: “I’m not angry they wiped out smallpox but the MMR vaccine causes autism.”

Even anti-vaxxers don’t like to identify as anti-vaxxers.

4 Likes

when i was young i had an egg allergy which kept me from getting injected immunizations. that allergy decreased in intensity over my 30s and 40s to the point of my having little to no sensitivity to eggs and egg products so over the past 5 years i’ve been catching up on my childhood immunizations. the first one i got was the mmr. 6 months after i did there was a measles outbreak in a school district about 50 miles away from me. i was really pleased i had done that. since then i’ve had annual flu shots, the dpt, the meningitis, the hpv, and i’ve had the first two of three injections for hep b. i’m truly delighted to be able to get this done and even more delighted that my insurance lets me have vaccinations with a $0 copay.

6 Likes