Painting freaky illusions on the road as virtual speed bumps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/14/painting-freaky-illusions-on-t.html

7 Likes

Kaufmanned, by a long chalk.

G%C3%BAsti-Productions-2

13 Likes

Needs a big ol’ dinosaur or something. Really scare 'em.

2 Likes

I love the concept, but almost wonder if it wouldn’t cause some possible accidents on its own, as drivers unfamiliar with the illusion suddenly grind to a halt upon seeing bars apparently floating in the air in the road ahead.

That’s a legitimate concern.

It could also negatively behaviourally train any local drivers that had encountered the trick. They might start second-guessing about whether an actual box or something on the road was a “real” obstacle or not and delay braking (in the moment).

(It does look fun.)

8 Likes

Well, that’s kind of the point; if someone is racing up to a pedestrian crossing without either slowing down or noticing the hazard until it’s 3 meters in front of them, you want them to hit the brakes.

7 Likes

I think he’s saying even regular-speed drivers might brake half a block early, confronted with something confusingly weird on the road ahead.

That wouldn’t be a predictable stop to anyone following them.

6 Likes

This looks really good in a photo, but I bet if you were moving towards it you could tell it’s flat pretty quickly.

4 Likes

That’s got to be a bitch for pedestrians with certain types of visual impairments.

3 Likes

Could be fancier.

18 Likes

Why? Peds will be approaching from 90 degrees to the approaching traffic, and will only see the flat white rectangles painted on the tarmac.

1 Like

That is a great illusion, but mb a bit dangerous for a road?

Or we could try something like this (bit of a hack job, rush rush rush)

20 Likes

Where is that??

You certainly don’t live in most cities that I have.

1 Like

Not sure. I think Julian Beever was the first artist who became known for it, but now there are several.

3 Likes

Wait, Trump is french for “Fool” and I’m just now learning this?

14 Likes

I suspect that the forced perspective illusion breaks down well before any driver would be likely to do a panic stop.

2 Likes

I imagine that the safety feature aspect of them is somewhat diminished by the fact that so many people end up standing in the road in order to have their picture taken…

It was/is in English, too (same root):

trump (v.2)
“fabricate, devise,” from trump “deceive, cheat” (1510s), from Middle English trumpen (late 14c.), from Old French tromper “to deceive”

(E.g. “trumped up,” “trumpery”)

When the Drumpf family decided to change their name, they weren’t thinking of the English meaning…

7 Likes

Thought he had a deposit of lead in his penis. Trumpery insanity. Bartle the Bread we calls him.

J.J. Ulysses

1 Like

They have them here in New Zealand too, driving up to them the perspective thing doesn’t seem to kick in nearly as easily when you are moving, and justdoesn’t kick in at night

2 Likes

It is almost better that they grind to a halt - rather than ignoring real speed bumps - with the risk of suspension/wheel alignment issues.

1 Like