Panama authorities seize narco-sub packed with 5 tons of drugs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/21/panama-authorities-seize-narco.html

2 Likes

Surely, the “drugs” was just a bunch of ballast, used expressly for the purposes of leveling and stabilizing the craft. /s

I’d like to see that vessel in action, learn about its technical specs. For instance, I see the intake and exhaust pipes are curved in such a way as to prevent seawater from backing up into the system, while still keeping a low profile.

9 Likes

These drug smugglers are obviously not truly serious about their work (yet).

10 Likes

And still, the free marketeers claim that government regulation stifles small business innovation.

15 Likes

Build the… what?

Build that damn, build that damn!

6 Likes

A drug sub-pository?

6 Likes

What’s this? Panama authorities seize narco-sub packed with 4 tons of drugs?

5 Likes

Do we count semi-submersibles?

1 Like

6 Likes
4 Likes

What exactly does “semi-subversible” mean? Either it’s under the water or it’s not under the water. If we start claiming that semi-subversible means partly under the water, then most boats are semi-subversible because some part of them is under the water.

What they had there was a boat with a very low profile. Someone just wants to call it semi-subversible because that sounds semi-technical.

3 Likes

Looking at the exhaust set up, I took it to mean that it could submerge but only for very short periods of time

2 Likes

They avoid surface radar like a submersible, and also avoid sonar like a ship. Semi submersible.

4 Likes

A low profile boat still feels like an open design that can’t submerge.
A semi submersible, to me, insinuates the boat is air tight and purposely submerged with ballast, and will not sink as a result.

Side thought… I hate the use of the word “drone” for remotely controlled craft. And in the news this week was a “piloted drone”.

1 Like

Most likely it means the boat still needs a (plastic) snorkel for its air-breathing engines. It can’t fully submerge, but can get low enough to disappear from radar.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.