Panasonic's Lumix GM1 is a pocketable, rangefinder-style MFT camera

[Permalink]

24 fps video sucks anyway. 30/60 fps is where it’s at.

I dig the block font on top and that script capital ‘L’ in the lower right – If only I could think of what that reminds me of…

1 Like

Does this expensive camera have or support a flash somehow? I don’t see a boot and the only thing that could even be a flash on the front is the size of a tiny LED (and I suspect is just a rangefinder anyway). Can it control a flash module wirelessly? I know a lot of people don’t like flash photography, but sometimes it’s unavoidable.

If this is anything like the rest of the Lumix line one pops up from the top on the left hand side.

And 24fps is exactly why all those fancy film people pay a lot of money to shoot at that speed. It’s not just tradition, it’s the look they’re going for.

1 Like

Yes, the stuttery blur of action scenes that tells you that you are watching a quality product.

This was my #1 complaint about Pacific Rim: the movie was full of big action (giant screen filling fists, monsters flailing etc…) that was nothing but blur on the screen. In some movies it’s so bad that you can’t even tell what the hell is going on (Transformers for example).

In either of those cases another 6fps is not going to solve the initial problem.

1 Like

Another 36fps would have though. I agree that going from 24 to 30 is pointless, if you’re going to make the transition it only makes sense to go all the way to 60, even though people will annoyingly tell you that your movie “looks like a soap opera” because the action is too smooth. Screw those people.

1 Like

But this works only if you are only going after digital projectors only. That still leaves 15 percent of the ones in the US alone not able to show 60 FPS.

PS - I’m totally one of those people. The solution isn’t more FPS, it’s better filmmaking in the first place to not try and cram all that motion into the frame.

Seems like they could make a print with every second/third frame for the relatively small subset of theaters stuck at 24fps. It’s not going to look as good (you’ll be missing a bunch of the blur so it will look more stuttery), but holding everybody else back because 15% of the theaters have not updated seems like the wrong solution.

Learn-2-film doesn’t seems like a great solution either. Pacific Rim would not be the same movie if it pulled back the camera whenever the robots or monsters started to move. Being up close like that made it far more visceral, like you are there with the team, fighting for humanity. Not sitting back in the bleachers watching the gladiators fight it out.

Learn to blink quickly.

I like the design of this camera, along with the smooth lines and concentric curves, much more than the one-of-a-kind Leica that was posted a while back.

No, 30/60 fps isn’t where it’s at if where you’re at isn’t most of the Americas or most of Japan. If where you’re at is almost anyplace else 25/50 fps is where it’s at, because with 50 Hz mains this is what is needed to avoid flickering.

1 Like

Everybody has flatscreens now, you don’t have to sync your framerate with the frequency of your electric grid anymore.

Are you talking about movies that you saw in the theatre, or about movies that you subsequently saw at home, on bluray (which offers a 1080p24 mode)?

It’s possible that you object to discontinuity editing.

1 Like

Problem isn’t the monitor you view things on. Problem is that the electric lighting you record on your video flickers in 50 Hz in most of the world outside the Americas and most of Japan. This isn’t noticeable with the naked eye, but when you record video in 60 fps and use the conventional 180 degree shutter in order to avoid smearing, the 50 Hz flicker turns up as a quite nasty banding or stroboscopic effect.

Panasonic says

AVCHD
NTSC Area
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 60i (sensor output is 60p, 17Mbps)
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 60i (sensor output is 30p, 24Mbps)
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 24p (sensor output is 24p, 24Mbps)
[HD] 1,280 x 720, 60p (sensor output is 60p, 17Mbps)
PAL Area
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 50i (sensor output is 50p, 17Mbps)
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 50i (sensor output is 25p, 24Mbps)
[Full HD] 1,920 x 1,080, 24p (sensor output is 24p, 24Mbps)
[HD] 1,280 x 720, 50p (sensor output is 50p, 17Mbps)

so you can choose between 1080i60, 1080i50, 1080p30,1080p25, and 1080p24. And if you prefer 720p, you can use 720p60. If you insist on using MPEG4, rather than AVCHD, your options are more limited.

From the picture, it looks like there is a pop up one where it says “Panasonic” across the top.

Their sister company? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lumix is not Leica, even if some Lumix cameras have lenses designed by Leica.