Pandora Papers: report details finances of tax-evading, wealth-hoarding world leaders

Originally published at: Pandora Papers: report details finances of tax-evading, wealth-hoarding world leaders | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Looks like somebody is going to perish in another tragic car-blowed-up whoopsie.

5 Likes

Maybe this time it’ll make at least a bit of a difference?

:crossed_fingers:

17 Likes

tony blair, somehow it just makes sense.

6 Likes

The loud & resounding laughter from these scumbag monied class can be heard round the globe. Like the Panama Papers, nothing will happen.

17 Likes

Several outlets are publishing on these papers, including aljazeera…

Here is more on King Abdullah specifically…

I wonder if there was/is any connection to his personal fortune and the recent overthrow attempt…?

12 Likes

I never realised how much Tony Blair looked like Walder Frey.

6 Likes

From the Aljazeera piece on Who Has Been Named, a fun fact a little bit closer to home in the US:

South Dakota

“The Guardian newspaper said the files provided evidence that the US state of South Dakota rivalled opaque jurisdictions in Europe and the Caribbean for financial secrecy.”

“The documents reveal almost $360bn in customer assets are sitting in trusts in South Dakota, some of it tied to foreign individuals and companies accused of human rights abuses and other wrongdoing, it said.”

“A decade ago, South Dakotan trust companies held $57.3bn in assets. By the end of 2020, that total will have risen to $355.2bn. Those hundreds of billions of dollars are being regulated by a state with a population smaller than Norfolk, a part-time legislature heavily lobbied by trust lawyers, and an administration committed to welcoming as much of the world’s money as it can. US politicians like to boast that their country is the best place in the world to get rich, but South Dakota has become something else: the best place in the world to stay rich.”

16 Likes

I wondered if he has Richard Branson envy.

4 Likes

This sounds really familiar…

3 Likes

This (and the increased complexity of such data-based investigations) is exactly why such projects are being done by international consortia of journalists these days and why the data is being made public. No car bomb is stopping this.

7 Likes

extreme Putin voice

“Please for everyone to get on ticking bus quickly, we do not want you to be late for big journalism prize.”

3 Likes

4 Likes

Tax the shit out’a the rich, NOW!

11 Likes

I never thought I’d see anybody use the word “off-shore” to describe South Dakota.

12 Likes

It’s so off-shore it doesn’t have a shore…

11 Likes

Off-shore is a state of mind, really

11 Likes

With politicians like Kristi Noem and Dusty Johnson at the helm of S. Dakota what could possibly be going down? Oh, and throw in Rounds and Thune just for funsies.

3 Likes

These Panama Papers were revealed long ago and talked up to being a big breakthrough. This is the first time I’ve seen anything come of them since? And they certainly convinced no government to fight this corruption.

2 Likes

Plenty of evidence there to bring in a RICO Act charges.

Passed in 1970, the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) is a federal law designed to combat organized crime in the United States. It allows prosecution and civil penalties for racketeering activity performed as part of an ongoing criminal enterprise.

8 Likes