Parkland shooter judge chews out his defense team after they unexpectedly rest their case: "I've never experienced this level of unprofessionalism in my career"

It doesn’t really matter when he has spent hundreds of words explaining in detail about how in the real world judges get mad and yell and that people shouldn’t be surprised about it, but then the first high profile female version of it comes across his desk and it’s about “temperament” and how she is comically young to say she is experienced (she’s 45 and he’s 53 btw) and he makes fun of this massive age gap with her having gasp and Instagram account.

He went from acknowledging this is how judges are to suddenly taking a very decided stance against laden with boomer misogynistic digs at her emotional state and the generational gap that didn’t actually exist. On top of that, she removed the jury from the court for the dressing down which is not true for most of the examples he has given of judges openly yelling in court.

10 Likes

45 is not “comically young” and for a 53 year old man to say that is hypocritical. Ken White does seem to be showing us who he is today.

10 Likes

45 isn’t comically young but it is unusually young for a judge (average age of a newly appointed circuit judge is around 50) and especially for a judge who says stuff like “…in my whole career.”

3 Likes

“When the law is against you, argue the facts. When the facts are against you, argue the law. When the facts and the law are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

9 Likes

When your first day is your worst day… :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

What did the judge mean by “taking their headphones off”? Seems like she’d be ticked if they put head phones ON.

From the headline I was thinking she chewed them out for underserving their client by not running a full defense, but it sounds like they could have easily informed the judge and opposing counsel at or after the conclusion of the previous court date that they intended to rest. Maybe they stretched it out hoping a new angle would materialize but it sounds like they didn’t even try to posit that with the judge. So yeah, shitty move toward the entire courtroom.

Also the thought’s in my head “you’re honor! You’re embarrassing me in front of a mass murderer!”

If a man were appointed to circuit cout earlier than the average age, no one would be calling him young, questioning his word choices or assuming he had never set foot in a courtroom during the roughly 20 previous years of his career. Instead, he would receive praise for being exceptional among his peers. The misogyny is transparent in Ken White’s criticism of this judge.

15 Likes

Ken White literally uses the exact same phrase all the time constantly because he has been a lawyer in a court room and seen many judges and many prosecutors in his experience as an attorney. Him malding about her saying “in my whole career” when she is a young judge and whining about how it can’t apply to her entire legal career when he literally is popular for his in-the-trenches blog and twitter account (again, literally one of his criticisms is that she has an Instagram showing she is unprofessional) is a prime example of what men like popehat get away with constantly.

And this current older generation has absolutely no clue why younger people are especially frustrated by all of the ages of these positions of power and influence getting older and older.

8 Likes

Double standards, yo; check your blind spots.

We all have them.

14 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

8 Likes

I think we have an answer to what the defense was trying to do here.

2 Likes

Some of the witnesses teleconferenced in. Even though the audio quality was in many places quite poor, it’s considered bad form to not listen to those witnesses.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.