Not allowed to blather, Trump retreats from demand to make his own closing statement

Originally published at: Trump retreats from making closing statement - Boing Boing

6 Likes

Having Trump for a client is a harsh but fitting punishment for anyone morally bankrupt enough to take on Trump as a client.

45 Likes

I can’t wait for Trump’s name to come off of Trump Tower and the rest of his former properties around NYC. I pass the Trump state park on the Taconic a few times a week… I’m hoping the first conviction gets the NY State legislature to act on that one.

23 Likes

I’m still hoping for one of these moments with Trump…

21 Likes

Such lawyers may also be financially bankrupt (and desperate)… but which also calls into question any significant shortages in their brain-power: Trump don’t pay.

18 Likes

He’s got a few who are smart enough to get paid up front.

Those are also the ones he eventually sidelines or ignores because a good lawyer will tell their client what the client needs to know instead of what their client wants to hear.

Case in point on both counts: morally bankrupt but tactically savvy lawyer Chris Kise.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/27/politics/chris-kise-trump-mar-a-lago/index.html

14 Likes

Everyone should be able to find counsel to defend themselves – there are fine lawyers who have defended far worse people that Trump – I just don’t understand how anyone would be willing to deal with his personality (even if you get paid ahead). Every lawyer sometimes has to really work to get their client to listen – I certainly have – but that part of the job sounds like a nonstop headache with this shit stain.

19 Likes

I’m picturing the name just falling right off the building of its own accord as the gavel comes down, smashing to pieces on the sidewalk below.

(Edited because I can’t type today)

16 Likes

His lawyers are like cheap dirty tighty-whities struggling to stop the torrents of his verbal diarrhea.

8 Likes

And who is surprised that the orange-bellied coward Trumplethinskin has backed out of his promise? From the first I’d heard of it, I assumed the chances he’s go through with it were somewhere south of 0%.

8 Likes

I was right there with you up until that last bit. I’m not sure I agree that there is anyone “far worse” than T****. Just different flavors of really bad. I would put him on the same level, but different mode, as human shitstains like Milosevic and Pinochet.

20 Likes

Trump attorney Christopher Kise responded that those limitations were “fraught with ambiguities, creating the substantial likelihood for misinterpretation or an unintended violation.”

Translation: “There’s no way we could get Trump to stay within those completely reasonable limitations, in part because the only reason he wants to get on the stand is to grandstand and introduce new, made-up ‘evidence’ to confuse things and get his base to commit acts of terror.”

18 Likes

I kind of wish the judge would allow him on the stand, with Trump allowed to say whatever he wanted.

With one minor condition. He has a shock collar on and the judge can trigger it any time he goes irrelevant.

200w

13 Likes

Or he stands waist deep inside a shark tank and a new shark gets released with every additional outburst.

But both would be good.

8 Likes

The weirdest thing here is that Trump for once actually did something smart by not doing what he really really wanted to do.

9 Likes

Trump could have been allowed to speak as long as he adhered to the rules of Just A Minute. He wouldn’t last more than 10 seconds.

8 Likes

Judge Engoron went out of his way to grant a very unusual request. Closing statements are for lawyers, not defendants.

Letting a defendant make their own closing statement is an invitation to grandstanding and theatrics. Basically the judge granted the request but in such a sane manner than it would be impossible for a fool like Trump to make it worth his while.

19 Likes

Defending Trump is an easy ticket to RightWingnut Welfare. Cable TV expert spots, book deals, speaking engagements, invitations to parties featuring Vanilla Ice and The Ninja Turtle…

7 Likes

I think that Engoron was probably looking forward to ordering a massive bucket of popcorn.

16 Likes

I am all for Trump having the competent lawyer he deserves.

Which is to say, not very.

11 Likes