Judge threatens to send Alina Habba to jail, then Trump walks out of court

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/26/judge-threatens-to-send-alina-habba-to-jail-then-trump-walks-out-of-court.html

7 Likes

Keep on, pressure;

KEEP ON.

36 Likes

Your Honor, threats are cheap. They’re not going to get the message until or unless you follow through on those threats. Lock them up!

26 Likes

marlago

30 Likes

The thing is, Chump is getting over on us again. The headline should be reading “Judge upholds the conclusion Trump raped woman and then lied about it” , “Trump loses case AGAIN” but he does his antics and the headlines are “Trump defies court by continuing to talk after judge tells him to shut up” and “Trump walks out of court”. He does this stuff to control the headlines and coverage.

18 Likes

Who’s “us?”

Speak for yourself only, please.

16 Likes

Fixed it for you.

5 Likes

I don’t think any of this will hurt Trump in the eyes of his supporters.

“The CORRUPT judge threatened to jail my attorney, and REFUSED to let me defend myself!”

(only probably with more capitals and spelling errors).

Which won’t change the outcome, but I think all Trump’s plans are ultimately based on becoming the Maximum Leader and wiping away all his legal defeats with a stroke of the presidential pen (or at least with more far-fetched claims of universal immunity to everything once he’s in office). I expect that if he does get re-elected, an “investigation” into Kaplan will follow swiftly, using all the powers of his freshly-overhauled and sympathetically-staffed DoJ.

Whatever antics he wants to get up to will serve the cause of re-election, even if they don’t help him win the court case.

10 Likes

His supporters are a cult, a lost cause.

“Independents” and nonvoters are the focus.

25 Likes

Probably not, but I am beginning to see cracks. And I don’t mean in Trump. I mean in his support. Nikki Haley going full anti-Trump, finally, is one sign. She’s suddenly not afraid of losing the Trumpers. And Trump has been saying a lot of nonsensical things lately, and whether they’re ready to acknowledge it or not yet, I’m sure his supporters have noticed. At some point, the dam will break.

23 Likes

C’mon pressure; increase those cracks!

28 Likes

Those headlines wouldn’t be accurate reflections of what happened in court today though. The judge upheld the verdict some time ago and the jury is now deliberating on damages. Trump’s childish antics in court today could well influence what kind of damages they end up awarding.

18 Likes

Kimmy Schmidt Good Luck GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

17 Likes

The Find Out Stage

7 Likes

What does Trump care if he loses the case? He wants to win in the press and the public. That is why he is still around. He does his antics and the press “sells papers”, really, gets clicks. He says the courts are rigged, the elections are rigged, reality is rigged and his followers believe him. He asks his followers for donations for his “legal defense” spends 98% of it on make-up, diapers and hamburgers for himself and pays the fines with the leftovers. He makes more money out of these court appearances and gets more free publicity than it costs him. If he is fined $10 million or $20 million, he gets his money’s worth in headlines and name recognition. Meanwhile DeSantis, Hailey and Biden have to pay millions for their advertising that Trump is getting for free.

6 Likes

He certainly doesn’t have the outward appearance of someone who doesn’t care if he wins or loses. The guy looks like he’s about to blow a gasket and I’m all in favor of anything that speeds the process along.

33 Likes

20 Likes

this is completely performative. he could care less about the judgment or amount. he’s an asshole.

4 Likes

He’s a master of playing the victim.

“Voters take pity on me!”

Habba is getting rolled over by that bus of his soon enough…

6 Likes

What do you think would happen to you or I if we tried to walk out of the courtroom while being tried for a crime? It sounds like for all the threats of disciplinary action, he’s still getting away with whatever behavior he likes.

5 Likes