Tweet and delete: Donald Trump Xitted on the judge, then remembered the threat of jail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/07/tweet-and-delete-donald-trump-xitted-on-the-judge-then-remembered-the-threat-of-jail.html

9 Likes

It is beyond terrifying to consider that this man once had control of a nuclear arsenal.

35 Likes

[Imagines the current low member of his legal team slapping the phone from his hands]

No! Bad! Down!

[Sprays with a water bottle filled with rage ketchup]

21 Likes

A nanny-lawyer rushed in and grabbed his phone?

35 Likes

I’d wager that it was not trump who deleted the tweet.

(Like RickMycroft said)

21 Likes

Ah, yes. In a case involving hush-money payments to Stormy Daniels, the defense was completely blindsided and unprepared for the prosecution to call Stormy Daniels as a witness.

60 Likes

Nobody saw it coming! Nobody.

23 Likes

When Trump’s first social media advisor recalled the time Trump learned to post Tweets on his own the advisor famously likened the moment to the scene in Jurassic Park when the velociraptors figured out how to open doors.

34 Likes

Given the caliber of the lawyers that are willing to work for him? Yeah, they’d be blindsided.

15 Likes

Todd Blanche is a former federal prosecutor, and a former partner at one of the oldest law firms in the US. He has taken a huge risk by taking Trump’s case, but he’s not actually incompetent.

13 Likes

And that so many people seem perfectly willing to give him that power once again. :rage:

22 Likes

I hope the Joint Chiefs are getting counseling for their PTSD.

12 Likes

I strongly suspect that the “nuclear briefcase” they gave him was this one:

28 Likes

Sadly (and scarily) I don’t think that’s the case. :sob:

11 Likes

It might be true, you know. Because they are really, really dumb.

Mel Brooks Morons GIF

18 Likes

He seems to have become incompetent by osmosis, though. Judge Merchan has commented on it, directly: “ Mr Blanche, you’re losing all credibility, I have to tell you right now,”

13 Likes

That wasn’t incompetence. There’s a saying in the law. When the facts aren’t on your side, you pound the law. When the law isn’t on your side, you pound the facts. When neither are on your side, you pound the table. In trying to argue against the contempt charge, which he’s pretty much bound by legal ethics to try something to argue against it, neither the law nor the facts were on his side. So he resorted to metaphorical pounding the table: making a ridiculous argument in this case that he could promise Trump wouldn’t do it anymore. That’s not exactly pounding the table, but when you aren’t left with a legitimate argument, you have to make specious ones. I don’t feel the least bit sorry for him, because he knew what he was getting into, but it’s a tough assignment, being Trump’s lawyer.

17 Likes

They should start prepping a special holding cell for Trump (and his Secret Service squad so unlucky to be assigned) - and casually leak a few photos to social media. Might get the message through.

8 Likes

So, was this actually a xit? I thought his jam was exclusively Truthing on Truth Social now?

(Also, I thought there was some consensus that he doesn’t actually write these things himself and tells other people to write them…? It’s so tricky to follow the trends now.)

3 Likes

Rudy Giuliani is also a former federal prosecutor, not to mention mayor of New York. It would seem that neither of those qualifications are guarantees of competence.

6 Likes