Prosecutors complain about Trump's menacing social media posts

Originally published at: Prosecutors complain about Trump's menacing social media posts | Boing Boing

8 Likes

He should switch back to X.

21 Likes

They’re not even paying their own damn bills. What a jackass.

26 Likes

This is what happens when one’s early career mentors were literal monsters and also Roy Cohn.

21 Likes

Other than throw him in jail with no internet and no phone until the trial (which I really don’t see happening) what can she actually do? As long as he’s walking free he’s going to keep doing this. It’s just who he is.

14 Likes

There’ll probably be some high-profile MAGAist who Musk will use for this, then the remainder will effectively be told to go forth, either through Musk not taking the case or through Musk not paying the bills.

11 Likes

Make him come back to court again each time he does it to scold him? Fine him? Add charges? You know, legal stuff that judges do.

21 Likes

His cultists would go apeshit over this, but smacking him with contempt of court and tossing him in jail for a night wouldn’t be completely unreasonable. But more likely she’d make it his lawyers’ problem: if they can’t control their client smack them with the contempt of court charge and refer them to the Bar association for potential further discipline.

20 Likes

9f310658-6221-4244-8d2e-94db0fc7c18f_text

16 Likes

Sounds Good Ted Cruz GIF by Saturday Night Live

22 Likes

Beau has a thought:

11 Likes

… sure, Trump keeps doing his thing as a lengthening list of lawyers go to jail?

At some point it’s down to Trump versus the judge, and judges don’t like to lose

17 Likes

Menacing is a crime in DC, up to a $1,000 fine (boo) or 180 days in jail (yea).

14 Likes

A very sound theory.

Why do some people have to be so blatantly terrible?*

*I don’t expect an answer to this from anyone, it’s more a plea of frustration.

10 Likes

No lawyer can ‘control’ their client.

That’s fundamentally not how the relationship works.

4 Likes

depends what we think courts and lawyers are for

2 Likes

I don’t know what you mean by that. Care to expand?

2 Likes

Lawyers are held responsible for their own actions, not for their clients’ actions. Otherwise no one would ever willingly represent a badly-behaved client.

Of course representing a client like Trump is its own hellish punishment in itself even for lawyers who manage to stay on the right side of the law.

9 Likes

Luckily it’s only ‘virtue signaling’ if non-assholes do it…

6 Likes

Well, she can revoke his bail and throw him in jail with no Internet and no phone. I mean if you or me did a fraction of what Trump has been doing, that’s exactly what would have happened to us. Trump is literally and brazenly engaging in jury tampering, witness intimidation, and threatening government officials. All of these things are felonies, by the way. Also contempt of court.

In addition to jail time, he can be sanctioned for every time he does something like this. No trial necessary if it’s found he’s violating a direct order from the judge.

He should be sitting in a federal prison right now awaiting trial, not crisscrossing the country on his private plane giving speeches at his white power summits.

You know how Republicans keep parroting the whole “two justice systems!” talking point as if they were Joss Ackland’s character in Lethal Weapon 2? This is precisely the definition of a “two justice systems”. Of course the irony is Republicans spin it as Trump somehow getting a raw deal, even though prosecutors and judges are basically bending over backwards to accommodate him in an attempt to look apolitical.

21 Likes