Judge threatens Donald Trump with jail time if he defies gag order again: "If I need to, I will"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/judge-threatens-donald-trump-with-jail-time-if-he-defies-gag-order-again-if-i-need-to-i-will.html

7 Likes

IF? How many violations are we up to now? 15, at least?

20 Likes

Did anyone think they would?

The judge’s statement is empty rhetoric trying to sound tough – directed at a defendant that has spent his life constantly trying to sound tough with empty rhetoric

24 Likes

“… and possibly the next one as well.”

Remember, this is the best person the GOP had to nominate. And a solid 30% of the country doesn’t care how bad he acts or what he does for a combination of tribal and cult mentality.

17 Likes

Plot twist - Trump pushes the right buttons to get put in jail so he doesn’t have to go to Baron’s graduation.

20 Likes

Would that be intentional though? Another way to rile up the base, the mean judge made him miss his son’s graduation.

9 Likes

It should not matter what job this guy had in the past, nor what job he’s currently applying for - he deserves the consequences that anyone else would suffer if they weren’t a rich white male.

28 Likes

. . . so he can fund raise off his “victimization.”

13 Likes

It might even work as an encouragement. tRump gets both to flex that he is so rich he doesn’t care and a P.R. bullet point to grift his cult for.

A few days getting familiar with a stainless steel prison toilet and a bed bolted to the wall… that would hit home.

8 Likes

Justin Timberlake Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

23 Likes

Mmmm mm mm salty buttery popcorn! Imagine, if you will, someone on a comfy couch in an exhilarated state of anticipation, wide eyed and staring -while eating this delicious popcorn!

4 Likes

I’m honestly not sure what’s worse for him, that, or just the not being able to use his phone for a few days.

10 Likes

I am going to predict that when Trump defies the gag order again, the rules of preferential treatment has the jail time clocked in hours, not days.

7 Likes

Said base already convinced themselves that he was really disappointed that the trial cut into his time celebrating his wife’s birthday. If they can believe that (like they believe he’s a real man of God), they’ll believe anything.

7 Likes

It’s going to take longer to make arrangements to put him in a jail cell than he will be in said jail cell.

8 Likes

Nah. For contempt he gets a nice cozy room in the courthouse where his secret service detail can keep an eye on him. It’s not like he’ll get sent to Rikers genpop.

10 Likes

Just f*in’ DO it.
Jail.
Time.

10 Likes

Not so different from a gold toilet.

6 Likes

Because he is a racist jerk, I’d hope that he would get to share a cell with a nonwhite person - except that would not be fair to the other person.*

I’ve been waiting for many years for Trump to suffer an actual, no joke, consequence for his actions that he cannot fob off or grift into someone else’s problem.

With my Kreskin hat on I will say that the very second he is convicted and faces real jail time he will ‘suddenly’ manifest dementia or any other thing that might help keep him out of jail. I’d wager it will come up at his sentencing hearing.

Also, all the lickspittle GOPs will IMMEDIATELY try to pretend like the last 9 years hasn’t happened and they weren’t pathetically grovelling for crumbs from his table.

*ETA ideally a ‘big strong man with tears in his eyes’

8 Likes

Trump desperately WANTS to be put in jail, first because it would confirm his paranoid fantasies, and second because it would be a fundraising bonanza. His dupes would sell their organs, and the organs of their children, to send money to him if he got thrown in jail.

4 Likes