Judge threatens Donald Trump with jail time if he defies gag order again: "If I need to, I will"

I honestly don’t think Trump really believes jail is a realistic possibility. Maybe in the abstract sense, but not in his gut. 70-plus years of evading any serious consequences for one’s actions will do that to a person’s psyche.

Jail for Trump is the right and proper thing for the judge to do here, but I see why Merchan is so scared to do the right thing. He’ll literally be putting his own life and the lives of his loved ones at risk by doing so.

25 Likes

27 Likes

There has not been a single consequence for Trump that people haven’t claimed wouldn’t be somehow playing into his hands. I’m willing to risk it. Let’s see how he actually handles jail and no cell phone.

25 Likes

Judges not wanting to do things because of fear of violence.
Members of congress not wanting to do things because of fear of violence.

Not doing those things has never stopped future violence. Really, it just shows that the fear of violence worked. It’ll get repeated again, it worked after all.

This is a huge failure of media too. They know it’s happening. This should be the top story in every news outlet. Not that he fell asleep, not some pizza photo op, not his hair or makeup. Top story everywhere “GOP Candidate achieves goals through threat of violence, democracy and law roll over.”

News outlets of any type could run the same story, some showing how far we’ve fallen and others praising the situation. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

25 Likes

Rocky And Bullwinkle Internet GIF

17 Likes

He added: “…The last thing I want to do is put you in jail.”

Why? Would he say the same thing about a different defendant? This bothers me.

18 Likes

Most importantly, they’ll take away his cell phone wherever they place him. A full day or two without his cell phone will be a horrible punishment for him. :smiling_imp:

13 Likes

9 Likes

No, of course no one thought 9 thousand would shut him up. If almost 90 million dollars couldn’t get him to shut up about E. Jean Carroll then I don’t see how $9k was supposed to change anything.

12 Likes

Worst-case scenario, Trump dies while in jail. The conspiracies would be endless. He should have been jailed after the first 9 violations were brought to the judge. He should stay in jail for the duration of the trial. How many people can you name who were found in contempt of court 10 times during ONE trial and didn’t go to jail?

12 Likes

The Judge doesn’t want to make the Mango Mussolini a ‘martyr’ to his cause.

4 Likes

& @subextraordinaire

Wizard Of Oz Dorothy GIF

13 Likes

My bet is that the judge has already ordered one of the currently shut down short term detention facilities be cleaned up for use. They can put the defendant in a cell, give adjacent cells to the Secret Service detail and station sheriffs to keep an eye on all concerned with a special focus on preventing unauthorized cell phone use.

11 Likes

Here’s hoping that they requisitioned the Epstein cameras.

3 Likes

Worst-case scenario, Trump dies while in jail.

Bad in some ways, maybe, but not the worst. Worst case is the trials are delayed with nonsense, the election happens, the Electoral College does the same thing they did eight years ago, and a very damaged person with way too much power spends four years trying to murder anyone who ever questioned him, and golfing.

14 Likes

…and talk about how cushy our jails are, it’s no wonder that we have so much crime! Prison would have been too good for Hillary!

When he’s president, he’ll make prison so bad that people won’t dare break the law. The way it is now, they love it! They said, don’t pardon me, Mr. President, it’s so nice in here!

1 Like

Trump’s lawyers have already prepared writs of Habeas Corpus to be submitted in order to prevent him from even reaching a jail cell.

3 Likes

A more impish judge would include quotes from TFG’s full page “Bring Back the Death” penalty ad in their rulings. But such irony and satire only works on people capable of self reflection.

4 Likes

Oh, yeah, get my hopes up, why don’t you…

4 Likes

"… a big prisoner, tears in his eyes, he said, ‘Sir, —’ "

7 Likes