Manhattan judge warns Donald Trump to behave in court — or go to jail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/manhattan-judge-warns-donald-trump-to-behave-in-court-or-go-to-jail.html

8 Likes

do it party hard GIF

27 Likes

Except there is a huge difference between “behave or go to jail” and “behave or you could go to jail”, and Trump has been leaning heavily on it.

17 Likes

At one point (one link) the proposed penalty for trump violating the gag-order (as of course he has done already) was that trump’s team wouldn’t learn the names of the jury members. Don’t know how this relates to the defense rights to interview prospective jurors, but that definitely seems more effective than a mere $1000. (of course this-sour-person suspects no penalty will ever be meted to the orange blob @#$!)

In the Monday order, Judge Juan Merchan agreed with prosecutors that the former president “be expressly warned that any statutory right he may have to access to juror names will be forfeited by continued harassing or disruptive conduct.”

Several legal commentators said that Merchan’s latest order is a powerful tool to stop Trump from violating a gag order placed on him. In an expanded gag order on April 1, Merchan twice warned Trump that he may withhold juror names from him.

6 Likes

Criminal trials have a lot more possibilities for interesting sanctions than civil trials do.

14 Likes

Behave, ha! If someone at the Secret Service is doing their job, they’re already scoping out the possible arrangements.

7 Likes

$1000 per post? How about $1000 per character in a post, and $10,000 if it is an uppercase one?

12 Likes

Around here you can’t have a cellphone in the courtroom. In NYC they are supposed to be turned off. I suppose the judge could start with confiscating his phone.

6 Likes

That someone else has actual power over him and is telling him what to do must be absolutely infuriating to that spoilt, nasty, narcissistic overgrown toddler.

14 Likes

Secret Service Agent: I call top bunk. I’m afraid I must insist, sir. It’s for your own protection.

9 Likes

“… if you don’t behave yourself in front of me, I won’t let you tamper with the jury behind my back” :thinking:

4 Likes

They noted that one of the posts happened while court was going on today which was a photo of Michael Cohen calling him a serial perjurer.

How do you get a photo of someone calling someone a perjurer? Oh, a photo of someone, and calling the person in the photo a perjurer. I see.

Another comma just died of neglect.

1 Like

Maybe there’s a big cartoon text bubble in the photo.

4 Likes

I agree that it would certainly gall him, but I’m still waiting for anyone to actually assert some power over him and make it stick. I’m sick of “could be jailed.” Let’s move on to will be jailed.

9 Likes

That’s a no brainer, could Trump even get on the top bunk without assistance?

5 Likes

Would you want to be on the bunk under him?

3 Likes

same-zoom-orange-yellow
Oh, so very, very same.

4 Likes

(Just because this line is stuck in my head, for some reason)

1 Like

Please, please be the one judge who actually grows a spine and does more than issue empty threats. Because Trump WILL give ample opportunity to make good on them. He can’t help himself.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.