Parler is down, and Apple just gave Parler 24 hours to ‘Improve Moderation’ or they are banned from App Store

Well you know iPhone users are a bunch of elitist cucks, so it is no big deal, right?

Surely there will not be an outrage over this.

/s

“Don’t do anything that might upset the people who have already become detached from reality” is a piss-poor way to make policy.

23 Likes

Clearly the best way to stop a conflagration taking over your neighborhood is to do nothing.

20 Likes

I just hope this doesn’t all backfire. There’s an old saying that there’s no such thing as bad publicity.

2 Likes

I am familiar with neither a Parler app nor the Apple app store. I am familiar with a certain erotic literature website whose app is banned from the Google/Android Play Store. That Android app can be installed directly from the site via any Android browser.

IOW if Paler has a website, and a Parler app can be downloaded, then Nazis can, and will, continue swapping spit. What’s needed is thus a phone virus that deletes or perverts any Parler app, or preferably bricks a device hosting any such app. Any white-hat hackers here?

1 Like

Indoctrinated people will continue to swap spit even if they have to use carrier pigeons. But the Play store and Apple store are/were a huge funnel of fresh people that may be indoctrinated once there. If you are side loading this racist app it’s more likely you are already indoctrinated or in the process. It’s a reduction of potential harm.

19 Likes

He got banned from everywhere else (sometime multiple times). I give it a week. He will call a press conference within 48 hours and no one will show up or they will cut away. Then Trump will be on the street with a megaphone.

2 Likes

Oh, FFS, quit coddling the Trumpsurrectionists.

10 Likes

Many, I hope.

12 Likes

That’s like saying you have this cancerous growth that is malignant… but you don’t want to cut it out because it will leave a scar.

11 Likes

You know what would be funny?

What if back in 2018 the Federal Bureau of Investigations or Department of Homeland Security had seen the writing on the wall regarding Trump and Twitter and set up their own social networking site?

What if they marketed that site as one where people dissatisfied with Twitter due to its content restrictions could share their potentially inflammatory and/or unpopular views?

What if they required those posters to register with an email address and a phone number? What if they also asked for a picture of their government ID, a Social Security number, and/or a tax ID number if the poster wanted verified status on the site?

What if the FBI or DHS had taken a line from a famous poem to name said social media site and asked themselves “Will you walk into my Parler?”

That would sure give them an awful lot of information about the folks who planned the events that happened in the Capitol on the 6th and are planning more events for the period around Inauguration Day.

Wikipedia states “[Parler co-founder] Matze said in an interview on June 29, 2020 that the business was not profitable. As of November 2020, Parler had not added advertising to the platform, and had not received any known venture capital.” Who needs funding from the outside if you’re being funded by a three-letter agency?

Nah, that’s probably just a crazy conspiracy theory :grin:

14 Likes

All the more reason to take down the platforms where they publicize their hateful nonsense.

7 Likes

Large corporations, much like republicans, are rushing to virtue signal now, aren’t they?

Yeah. Much better to let the racist rhetoric that already nearly led to a fucking coup fly… that will fix our problems. /s

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

10 Likes

Who the heck would actually host their server or provide DNS service? Please do let me know, so I can make sure to never EVER let those people see a cent of my money or a penny of my effort.

I think more to the point, Parler should run fine as a web app, on any device at all.

@Steve_L well yeah I thought the same about tor to be honest

As much as I’d like to be a fly on the wall watching this knucklehead explode, I would prefer to weather the message storm than to have this shit-stick working behind closed doors!

Then you were not especially observant, as Tor is an open-source project and you can go read the source yourself. That’s very different than a centralized website with no access to the code or operations at all.

Disclamer: Boing Boing runs an open Tor exit node

9 Likes

Yes thats the published source code but I have no way to know what code runs on every tor node, and no way to know what else runs on those nodes, including in their kernels.

At a guess, AWS and CloudFlare, respectively.

3 Likes

That’s why no traffic transits a single node, and more importantly, there’ve been some great research papers on just how many nodes you would have to run in order to reliably grab traffic. It is a large number, and too large to not get noticed by the community first as well. People have indeed attempted a similar attack and failed.

Anyway, this is offtopic. The reality is we have no real way to confirm Parler isn’t a government plant except for Occam’s Razor and the spectacular intelligence failure at the capital.

16 Likes