Parler is gone

How would they notice? It was all downloaded from public facing apis. It looked like completely legal and normal traffic. Sure, they might have caught on to it , but the whole way the internet archives tools work is to make it slow and steady and not effect service. They divided up the URLs and the such to get this data down.

2 Likes

I like that distinction, but I’d quibble a little-that it’s who we trust less, not who we trust more.

Both governments and corporations are just groupings of fallible humans come together to enact an agenda. You shape a corporate agenda with money, a government (ideally) with votes.

3 Likes

One of the great ironies of this whole thing is the fact that Parler could never have existed in the first place without protection from liability for content posted by users, which they owe to Section 230. And yet these people want to get rid of Section 230. You’ve got Ted Cruz railing against Section 230, but Ted Cruz would never be allowed to post anything on any social media network without Section 230.

13 Likes

Somebody who sure seemed to know a lot about the Russian tech industry suggested

1 Like

They might as well go for broke and file for trillions of $ in damages, since they were prevented from becoming the Exclusive Official Social Media Channel of the Peoples Democratic Republic of Ameristan™.

4 Likes

i don’t have you e-mail address, phone or credit card number. unless you posted it yourself on parler.

however, everybody now has connection metadata. it should prove pretty interesting to see who the influencers are.

3 Likes

Gab also appears to have had a normal one today.

5 Likes

i would be curious to see a who’s who of the people who work there. engineers are hard to come by as it is.

from things like “our authentication uses a free trial service” to the laughable over-promises by their ceo about downtime, i’d wonder if they didn’t mostly cobble together existing software – still hard, but not the level of building something actually new.

3 Likes

It sounds like exactly the quality you would expect from a bunch of outsourced to China/India work all stapled together by an ALMOST competent but probably not senior enough to know what they’re missing team of software engineers who DEFINITELY aren’t paid well enough. Honestly the company I work for fixes these kinds of software projects all the time.

(EDIT: Well not THESE, because we have ethical standards)

5 Likes

7 Likes

Social network Parler dumped by AWS, says it prepared for this by only using bare metal

[…]
However, Matze told Fox News that all other suppliers have also chosen not to work with Parler, including a provider of text messaging services and even the company’s lawyer.
[…]

5 Likes

On a side note, I saw reports that Bill turned down a Presidential Medal of Freedom that the outgoing sore loser and failed putschist wanted to give him.

5 Likes

I doubt it. I’m not a lawyer, but I have to imagine that, assuming there is a contractual issue, Amazon only needs to demonstrate that continuing to honor the contract would cause some harm. I’d think that after last week, I could probably prepare that brief and win.

2 Likes

He is still spit-shining Orange Julius’ cloaca.

1 Like

When the app was banned, it simply meant that no new users could download it, that no updates could be shipped, and that without a backup, it couldn’t be installed on a new device.

AWS killing the backend made all that moot. Can’t talk on the phone if the switching center has burned down.

The suit filed against Amazon claims that they did indeed code to AWS and can’t move to a new platform because of that. I assume they wouldn’t lie in a lawsuit filing, but Lin Wood exists.

2 Likes

My point is more, if Amazon’s contract says, “You have 30 days to fix things if we notify you.” and they gave Parler just 48 hours, that’s problematic.

I know the contracts I’ve read with regards to Amazon’s services are 7-30 days.

But what I don’t know if is Parler was on those same contracts or had warnings or what not that affected that time to cure. Amazon’s terms of service for AWS have been modified something like 20 times in the past year, it’s extremely hard to keep up with it

Parler just aided an attempted coup. :woman_shrugging: I’m gonna guess that helping that sort of thing might break the contract from their side, because it can open up Amazon to all sorts of legal trouble, if nothing else.

11 Likes

Nope. Parler is fucked and this lawsuit is going nowhere.

Unless you are running really high six figure monthly bills AWS won’t even talk to you about any kind of contract.

The deal is you agree to terms of service and buy everything piecemeal at your own risk. It’s the same kind of terms you get from the phone company, but Amazon is big enough to laugh off negotiations from medium sized 1000 employee corporations.

Source: Last couple gigs were at companies just getting big enough to ask for better terms from Amazon. Parler pretty clearly hadn’t made this transition.

7 Likes