Passengers stranded and Spirit airlines canceled hundreds of flights

Originally published at: Passengers stranded and Spirit airlines canceled hundreds of flights | Boing Boing

4 Likes

In other words, Monday.

I feel sorry for people who truly don’t have enough money to fly an actual airline yet have to travel somewhere.

For the rest of the cheap asses who think that the lowest price always wins, at least they’ve been given this educational opportunity. But given the photos from Florida, it doesn’t look like those lessons are sinking in.

17 Likes

Flights cancelled and people suffering in hot airports during a PANDEMIC.

Well, you chose to fly during a pandemic, didn’t you?

25 Likes

You get what you pay for, unfortunately

2 Likes

America’s answer to Ryanair.

11 Likes

Good thing those people had already gone through security, who made sure they didn’t have any weapons on them.

4 Likes

Airlines are evil bastards. They don’t care if you get stranded or not.

Moooooooo

3 Likes

I’d still rather get stranded by Spirit than have an uneventful and on-time flight with United.

1 Like

I have to admit, many moons ago I did enjoy a £1 (£5 with taxes) flight from England to Ireland though :laughing:

5 Likes

Was there an additional charge for you to bring your shoes, clothes and wallet aboard? Maybe an additional “air ventilation” fee? And an emergency instructions rental fee? :thinking:

8 Likes

I swore off flying Spirit more than two decades ago, when they cancelled my paid flight out of SF in advance, but without bothering to notify me of the change; and I had to figure out a way to get myself to the San Jose airport in order to take my originally scheduled trip.

That they are still fucking their customers over years later comes as no surprise.

17 Likes

“holds your luggage and money hostage”

I think that money is just gone… but, wait, Spirit airlines took their luggage? For a flight that didn’t exist? Where the heck is it, then? I don’t get that bit. Did they check in for a flight which then got canceled, and Spirit also didn’t have the staff to return the luggage?

Although since the video seems to show everyone with their luggage around them, I assume that means they eventually managed to return the luggage…?

6 Likes

How to book a ticket on Spirit airlines for just $150:

1. find your time and destination on a cheap day
  2. Book your ticket! Just $150
  3. Choose your seat $25
  4. Choose your checked baggage option $100
  5. Choose your carry-on option $50
  6. Pay for your extras and fees $75
  7. Pay your new Covid surtax $50
  8. Pay convenience fee $50
  9. Oops your checked bags are too heavy +$50
  10. Oops your carry-on is too heavy +$25
  11. Oops your “personal item” is too large +$25

Congratulations you have just booked a $150 flight!

23 Likes

I guess they could be OK, as long as you understand that the advertised destination may be several hours away from the airport.

6 Likes

Ryanair took Southwestern’s operations model. They are an explicit port of the business to Europe. The two big twists were: lots of structural fund money from the EU to build regional airports went straight into their pockets, and they went with being an arsehole as a USP. I think SW gave the usual corporate nice speak. Ryanair talked like the fash before the fash were fashionable.

Oh, and I’m not sure their dubious accounting practices were modelled off anyone else. That’s their own Innovation I think.

6 Likes

Chaos and rioting! -footage of people in an orderly line.

6 Likes

Welp, that’s another airline to add to my Do Not Fly list, not that I plan to fly anytime soon (y’know, with the pandemic and all).

4 Likes

Ryanair is at least constrained by Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 which mandates them to compensate you when things go wrong. They moan and do all they can to obstruct claims, but they have to obey.

It’s hard to believe, but flying Ryanair is markedly better than flying an internal service in the US with the likes of Delta or Frontier - hell, flying Aeroflot is better. Travelling on a US carrier is like being in a hostage situation with a bored kidnapper.

4 Likes

I’ve flown Aeroflot. Multiple times.

I agree with you.

4 Likes

That was by catapult airlines? (A subsidiary of Trebuchet)

4 Likes