Passing the D20: The BBS is Leveling Up with New Moderators

Excellent. This was a community suggested option to help. Especially running up to the election when shenanigans are accelerating.

25 Likes

Having an AI to assist the moderators may not be a bad thing if it were trained well on the corpus of BB posts (both the good, the bad, and the ugly that were flagged and those flags upheld.) It could flag things that may have flown under the moderators’ radar for them to take a closer look at. But I’d be cautious about letting the AI take action on its own. Maybe in the most egregious cases (some sort of denial of service-like attack) I’d give it a bit more slack in its leash, but generally speaking I’d want to have human-in-the-loop moderation day-to-day. [And I don’t think, based on this discussion, that anyone is proposing fully automated moderation at least for right now.]

5 Likes

have to sit and think over an “A.I. trained on the corpus of BB posts” (by which i’ll read “comments”). that would be one curiously stressed out ‘A.I.’ indeed [wink] (“s’gotta be better than most 'A.I.'s out there which are mostly trained on reddit comments”)

6 Likes

I’m fairly sure I’m not AI, so two out of three isn’t bad.

19 Likes

Of course, but can you really ever know?

Animated GIF

20 Likes

Perhaps not one AI, but maybe a few. One per category? Or one per “sufficiently large” category? In decreasing order of # of topics boing (110k), general (4.6k), and wrath (2.2k) seem big enough to support an AI each while meta (834), links (652), games (576), craft (170), and Offworld (20) may be small enough and/or targeted enough to not need additional monitoring. [It looks like Offworld is dormant or defunct?]

boing’s corpus, sorted by # of replies in each topic, does seem like it would be a little bit spicy. The top 3 deal with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, January 6, and Trump’s election. But there’s probably a lot of posts that were in those topics that no longer show up that would give the AI some good guidance on what to flag.

wrath’s corpus is heavily politics focused based on the list of topics sorted by # of replies, which would likely skew its recommendations. But again, like boing it probably would have a lot of stuff to learn from.

general would be a mixed bag. A bunch of coronavirus topics, “Odd Stuff” topics, “Happy Mutants food and drink” topics, and “Good (Encouraging) Stuff” topics.

4 Likes

We need to add that to the list of things that start arguments on bb.

15 Likes

Paging @NukeML!

15 Likes

Good luck with asking the mods about that, they’ve had less than a day in the job and you’re planning their replacement.

16 Likes

Maybe they’re too old? And should be replaced with a giant robot baby?

What could go wrong?

13 Likes

Animated GIF

18 Likes

Fine. A giant, drunk robot baby?

19 Likes

Good. So that leaves all others in the community to wonder about, such as @Brainspore who I believe is an actual AI final “gold” version. All fingers and toes, present.

7 Likes

“Man. Woman. Person. Camera. Tv. Giant. Robot. Baby.”

–cognitive test results, probably

source
[probably. ish.]

13 Likes

So we’re not going to be told the new mods’ original identities? Booooo!

4 Likes

Replacements, no. As I said, I wouldn’t trust AI unsupervised to moderate BBS. It’s difficult enough for human beings to interpret what other human beings write sometimes (what with the written word not providing some of the context clues that help out when dealing with someone face-to-face like body language, the tone of a person’s voice, etc.)

Thinking about possible tools that might be able to help them with their new responsibilities by providing a first pass filter or a last filter to catch issues that may slip through the cracks, yes.

3 Likes

Nice Kitty! Good Kitty!

Do please give Ptah, Nefertum, and Maahes my love.

15 Likes

Of course!

13 Likes

I didn’t realize anyone else even worshiped @Community_Mod_1!

21 Likes

I love and appreciate all our mods, mortal, divine, and divine-adjacent!

12 Likes