Passing the D20: The BBS is Leveling Up with New Moderators

18 Likes

12 Likes
9 Likes

Ooh, does this mean that thereā€™s a moderator manual? And did they read it?

No, but seriously, this is great news. This is going to send our signal-to-noise ratio through the roof. (I mean, itā€™s high already, but we are already asking way too much of Orenwolf to achieve it.)

13 Likes

Excellent news!

Congratulations and heartfelt thanks to the new mods!

13 Likes

I am not sure about worship. Spammers will definitely come to fear me and tremble in my presence. There are a LOT of them trying to sign up every day.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome :grin:.

21 Likes

Donā€™t say that. You have loads of friends in this very thread, @orenwolf .

21 Likes

23 Likes

Sigh.

ā€œMetaFilter turns 25 this month, a shining beacon of the Good Web. Reluctant owner Jessamyn West tells us how rusty tech and vibrant community keeps it vital.ā€

MeFiā€™s bā€™day is Sunday. I havenā€™t been there all that time but I have been lately. Hereā€™s a podcast talking about some of the challenges of moderating a very different web than the one we had in '99

Of particular note is the auto-generated transcript which misses words like Gopher, NNTP and Usenet :lolsob:

https://publicinfrastructure.org/podca

[emphasis added]

ā€œA very different webā€ indeed.
An iteration currently dang near unrecognizable, Iā€™d say. A ghost of its former self.

10 Likes

But Boing Boing, and the BBS, carry on, due in no small part to the incredible community of mutants here.

19 Likes

giphy

applause4

tumblr_oef0ap5v3g1r868elo1_400

18 Likes

ā€¦ and thatā€™s why so many of us are here, have stayed here, and care about this place.

Thanks for the work you do. Itā€™s a lot. Itā€™s invisible to many. And itā€™s like the air we breatheā€“essential.

25 Likes

I bow to she who even disease fears :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Bowing isnā€™t necessary, really. Iā€™m pretty casual about all of that. :grin:

I will say this: our goals for this community are largely summed up by the Guidelines and the Forum Rulesā€“ both in their letter and in their spirit. (Itā€™s never a bad idea to take another look at them, and the other Word of Mods, to better understand whatā€™s expected of EVERYONE who participates here.) As long as posts remain within those Guidelines, things stay groovy. Any posts that cross those lines (or dance on the pixel-thin edge of the rules with obvious intention to inflame and provoke) will get om-nom-nommed with relish. :cucumber:

Please play nice. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::hugs:

19 Likes

It does, though.
I am of the opinion that it would not be wise to ignore this, or claim it wouldnā€™t be the case.

Identity of a person is reflected in their decisions. Moderation is hard, and @orenwolf, you do a great job. I trust you because your decisions in the past, and the explanations you provided often in great transparency, and moderation.

I hope no-one misunderstands me - I welcome our new moderators and give them the benefit of the doubt. But of course it affects my flag that I know they have been here for a while, and they wear a different hat on the same head now.

You guys -
Thanks for taking that hat! May it whisper to you, and help you sort past, present, and future! :hugs:

4 Likes

cool!

as someone who has done a bit of monderating itā€™s a time consuming job, sometimes a bit thankless.

So, Iā€™ll offer my thanks right now.

12 Likes

You could always try behaving yourself.

11 Likes

imacelebau behave GIF

12 Likes

Stop Motion Animation GIF by Molly Robin

Iā€™m tryingā€¦

12 Likes

I always try to beehive. :honeybee:

On a more serious note: there is at least one position argued on the BBS I am already not flagging, despite my staunch opinion that they do, in fact, violate community guidelines. I donā€™t flag because more than one esteemed member of the BBS argues it. And now, it is a possibility that one of the said members is a moderator, which further discourages me to flag.

So yes, it DOES affect decisions to flag if you know that some regulars who are vocal about $things might be called upon when $things are flagged.

Ken, OTH, rarely takes part in discussing ā€œdifficultā€ topics. He seems to be one of the most serenely neutral or rather impartial persons on the BBS. I believe this may be deliberate on his part. I guess thatā€™s why we all have great respect for his tireless efforts in moderation

5 Likes