Pat Buchanan on the Republican Party's historical opposition to free trade deals

Even then, only Jacobites are true conservatives.

I remember a cartoon in MAD - possibly by Wally Wood - where “Hawley Smoot!” was a backwoods oath. It’s taken me fifty years to get the funny.

What, me, worry?

I believe you’re thinking of Walt Kelly’s Pogo, although I can’t find any examples.

ETA: And there was this, but I don’t think it’s directly related:

Thank you!

They came to mind as I typed it :smiley:

He who has the gold, rules?

2 Likes

Which is particularly ironic, because before the Russian Revolution (which introduced the term “Bolshevik” to the world), the standard epithet for a revolutionary was “Jacobite”. Which as you correctly attest, is actually a conservative position denying the legitimacy of the “Glorious Revolution”.

I think you might be confusing Jacobite with Jacobin. The latter was a common epithet used against leftists, and has its origins in the Jacobin Club, a major force behind the French Revolution.

I think conservative today is a marketing gimmick that revolves around abortions, guns and the fictitious universe depicted in Norman Rockwell paintings.

I think “me first” covered that, but this is more poetic

1 Like

Waaaay back when, the Republican party was the party of the 99% ers and business. This was in opposition to owners of large, slave run plantations. Tariffs were one of the big fault lines between slave states and free states in the antebellum period. Of course the current Republican party has little to do with it’s origins. Rather much of the guiding core goes back to the “Southern strategy,” and some sort of cult of personality around Ronald Reagan. Which reminds me of how the current Chinese government encourages public veneration of Mao while simultaneously transforming China into a crony capitalist society. Which is actually better than the “great leap forward” or the :“cultural revolution” under Mao.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.