Paul Krugman explains why Tesla is like Bitcoin

Great, now you’ve got me looking at digital backs for my RZ67…

3 Likes

Well yes, but this time it will be a hacker rather than a British man stealing all of it

2 Likes

… that’s his kid’s middle name, right?

17 Likes

Except that over the past few years, the words out of peoples mouths have been - “Tesla is amazing .look how it is worth so much more than any other car company”.
People are now starting to understand what those comments should have really meant.

3 Likes

I can’t say why they waited so long to fully embrace digital cameras, but what did Kodak in was entering the digital market whole-heartedly when the bottom fell out of digital cameras: not digital photography, but the standalone camera itself. They started releasing cameras when the market was flooded with cameras manufactured on razor thin margins, just as smart phones with good enough cameras started dominating the market.

Essentially, they wanted to make consumer cameras when the market bifurcated into professional grade DSLRs and smartphone cameras.

They dabbled for a short while with ink jet printers that were expensive per unit but with inexpensive inks, but by then it was too late.

8 Likes

Yes, but if that addtional electricity is provided by excess solar or excess baseline coal/nuc, then its profitable.

My eye surgeon has two people on her payroll. Two. Far fewer than Elongated Muskrat. Yet, for some reason, I didn’t want the Muskrat anywhere near my detached retina.

She’s considered one of the best surgeons in the DC area even though she only has two employees. She even teaches at Johns Hopkins University despite her modest employee numbers.

How could that possibly be, if your non sequitur argument were valid?

12 Likes

I also recall that Kodak had an ill-fated attempt at high-end camera sensors for Leica digital cameras. And I’m not sure Leica has forgiven them yet.

ETA: though I’m told the extra IR in the image data made for excellent black & white photos.

4 Likes

There is. But it isn’t as easily accessible. But as far as I know, the technology to access it is already on its way, and a model project may have already started. I would have to ask the interwebs about it: the idea is to extract it from lithium-rich water source, e.g. in the upper Rhine area.

I seriously don’t think so. Storage & transport would need to be revolutionised. Currently, the infrastructure isn’t available. Despite claims that modern terminals are “hydrogen ready”, they simply aren’t.

Well, tried for the lithium part, mostly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But I’ll try and adress the next misconception

Well, true. In a way. But also false. In a way.
If you include all lifecycle costs, setting free and directly using hydrogen from water could be by far more energy efficient than battery storage. If we could efficiency store and transport it, that is.

Electricity is not the problem.
I recently had someone explain to me, believably and well informed, that if we upgrade all existing wind turbines in Germany to current state-of-the art of wind turbines, more than 100% of Germany’s current energy demand would be covered.
Now, add other renewables, and split water.
Oh, wait. Storage. Transport.
Shit.

ETA: I had this in edit mode for nearly a day b/c $stuff happened IRL, and the topic here had developed. Quick scroll now showed that some points were made already, but i hope to have added some, at least.

12 Likes

That’s right! I could not think of his name!

4 Likes

I enjoy being referred to as “Twitter clientele.” Classy

And now with the views feature I know that I am providing content to literally dozens of users. {soft shoulder punch attaboy}

1 Like

Like @matware said, the issue with hydrogen isn’t production nearly as much as storage and transportation. H2 is the smallest molecule of gas, which basically makes everything much harder. Not to mention things like hydrogen embrittlement in steel, the flammability, clear, odorless, and it floats.

Are EV manufactures really creating any new core technology (not things like autopilot)? Li-ion batteries are everywhere now not entirely just because of price. You can find multiple manufactures of IC charge/conditioning/protection chips from all your major component vendors. Building a multi-cell Li-ion pack is something any decent hobbyist could do. From an engineering standpoint electric motors were fully understood +40 years ago. Materials have gotten better, but the basic engineering and physics still remain.

I’d actually be impressed if Tesla owns a patent for a custom battery chip built by a 3rd party fab. Especially considering their first car was a Lotus.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Something tells me an EV from 1925 wasn’t using rare earth magnets (with a significantly higher flux density) or a computer controlled inverter to give you variable speed and power control. While those things were not common in by the 80’s there was plenty of engineering going on to show where the technology was going. Now thanks to modern cheap power mosfets and IGBTs handling hundreds (or thousands) of amps of current is pretty easy.

You article does point out one characteristic that all EV’s have had for more than a hundred years:

With the same mileage, this means a savings of 20 percent of the battery weights, and as the battery is a considerable part of the car weight, a further saving of power due to lesser weight which has to be carried".

5 Likes

About 80% fewer than when he took over the Twitter company.

What is your point?

4 Likes

Economist Paul Krugman wrote that by 2005, it would become clear that the Internet’s effect on the economy is no greater than the fax machine’s.

1 Like

Yeah, nobody can predict the future. We’re talking about the now.

7 Likes

That’s your comeback?! What’s your follow -up? “How much money does Krugman have?”

Ahem…

The quality of defense for their God-emperor by the weird nerd brigade is degrading like Twitter’s user base and uptime records.

9 Likes

Agreed. If you can improve storage and transportation efficiency, hydrogen becomes a fairly attractive “battery”, essentially. The problem is that hydrogen is a stone-bold b!tch to store and transport. and I don’t see that changing enough to cause a rethink of the energy equation.

I could be wrong, though. You can never predict all breakthroughs!

4 Likes

I haven’t looked into this so I have no idea, but is it not possible to scent hydrogen like we do with natural gas, or does that have probably very bad side effects either on efficiency or creating emissions?

2 Likes