Top financier: Elon Musk will have to liquidate Tesla stock to keep "X" in business

Originally published at: Fortune: Elon Musk will have to liquidate Tesla stock

10 Likes

@beschizza if you’re talking about the BoingBoing forums, you spelled “Xitter” wrong.

23 Likes

Exactly.

I suspect his claims that Xitter is a haven for “free speech” mavens shut down by “wokeness” were always a cover for amplifying far-right nastiness. The culmination may well be something he planned all along, that “interview” with Tromp, which was, fortunately, mostly ignored or laughed at by people who aren’t Tromp/Musk fanbois.

All of which is to say in part, why the hell should anyone who’s not a far-right shithead go there or link to Xitter posts like, at all?

35 Likes

He could you know, sell Twitter to somebody who won’t have a miserable time running it because they don’t hate 70% of it’s users.

20 Likes

He’ll let it burn in fire before selling for “woke leftist commies”

And he would sell his Tesla stuff before it

He’s letting us dream

#irony

15 Likes

Turns out the gilding is starting to rub off. The fall is going to be unlike anything we have ever seen. Tesla will turn out to be a very mundane car company, Grok/AI bullshit is going nowhere, Boring is a joke. Starship rapid reusability is probably hugely overestimated: Starship and the booster will eventually “work” as a launch platform, but the reusability and launch cadence predictions probably off by an order of magnitude.

Elon will be be in charge of SpaceX, which will have a very good Falcon 9 and starlink business, he will keep Twitter going as long as he can as a vanity project that bleeds money, and Tesla will realize that Elon without the pixie dust isn’t doing the company any favors and would be better off without him.

18 Likes

Please, just let it burn to the ground!

21 Likes

Very close to the election, I think he’ll hijack “official” accounts on X, like Biden, Harris and Walz, etc, to post fake messages, and hide any replies pointing out that they’re fake.

News organizations will be slow to react because they’re so used to treating X as the “social media of record”, and not as Elno’s plaything.

23 Likes

It’s pretty hilarious that he could tank both businesses in the coming years. There is no way in the world Twitter will be profitable, and throwing money into a pit can go on only for so long.

Telsa stock price has always been based on hopes and dreams - but as the other car companies start offering better EV options, I don’t know if they are going to be able to stay above water.

16 Likes

Tesla’s price-to-earnings ratio for August is 62.8. For comparison’s sake, Ford’s PE is 10.8, Toyota’s is 7.24, and Volkswagen’s is 3.47.

It’s a hype stock, with a stock price that has nothing to do with mundane realities of carmaking and profits.

20 Likes

It doesn’t seem like this maximizes value for Tesla shareholders.

7 Likes

ezgif.com-animated-gif-maker (1)

10 Likes

Not for current ones, but I suspect that the Bonesaw clan will soon be maximizing their stakes in both Tesla and X in their own special and toxic way.

10 Likes

Given that Musk has been burning Tesla stock to buy/keep Twitter afloat, and then demanding Telsa give him more stock to make up for it, I expect that dynamic will persist… until Tesla and Twitter are destroyed/out of his hands. Which will happen sooner or later, depending.

Maybe, but if Elno can keep his incompetent little mitts off it, it’s the only company of “his” that has any real chance of living up to the hype (and, you know, not going under in a flaming sewage vortex). It’s the strongest of his companies by far. If he destroys Tesla and Twitter, SpaceX will have all his attention, and the staff devoted to minimizing his damage will probably be overwhelmed. So in that respect it’s like the other companies - their long-term futures are best served by being separated from Musk.

More likely he’ll just make it impossible to read/follow certain accounts and promote others. Subtle and deniable, given how broken the site is. There have already been… mysterious… issues with following Harris’ accounts.

10 Likes

At the moment. Because they have two very good customers: the US government and… Starlink.

8 Likes

Only one of those customers is outside the Musk empire.

2 Likes

My point exactly.

7 Likes

Yeah, plenty of that, but the moment for forged posts would be right before the election, so that the kickback against it would be too late.

7 Likes

Well, as a US rocket company, the US government would be a major customer. And yeah, that could quickly change given Musk’s flirtation with foreign fascist leaders.

6 Likes

I think it would be funny if the same folks that sold it to him bought it back at a steep discount. I doubt they would tho

3 Likes