PayPal won't run transactions referring to tardigrades

Well that would explain why I can’t sell my TARDIS.

10 Likes

The way that non-apology is worded, it sounds like PayPal outsources the scanning of their client data to a third party whose job is to flag all occurrences of words, whether or not there’s a valid reason to do so.
I believe it’s called ‘capitalism’.

10 Likes

Have Paypal coders never heard of an allowlist?

12 Likes

Uh how much are you asking?

8 Likes

Well, this is what you get when everything in major corporations is run by mindless algorithms. Every aspect of science, art and culture becomes secondary to one big intensely stupid zero tolerance policy.

5 Likes

Fun Story.

We (pre-covid) used to go to lunch regularly at work, someone different always picks up the bill, everyone else Venmos them.

One guy decides to put “For the Global Relief Foundation” (a kind of well known former terrorist charity, feel free to look it up) in the comment section, and gets another person’s Venmo account immediately locked and banned. Apparently took quite a bit of time to undo with phone support.

The culprit had no action taken against his account, only the account that received the money got flagged

14 Likes

Similar thing happened to me. I paid a coworker back for lunch here in Miami and wrote ‘Cuban’ in the notes. I have been banned from PayPal going on 10 years.

Tried multiple review request over this $10 payment to no avail. But F them and their bad customer service, there’s Venmo, Cash, other, better services.

13 Likes

I discovered the word ‘Aleph’ will set the OFAC monster off, too. I’m guessing the Japanese terrorist cult.

4 Likes

Just call them moist bears!

12 Likes

That sort of thing is why when the US repaid Iran the money we owed from the Foreign Military Sales Trust Fund a few years back we did so using pallets of cash. No bank wanted to risk get tangled up in the sanctions we have against Iran by doing a wire transfer.

8 Likes

Not so much, at least when it comes to venmo.

From venmo’s homepage:

“Venmo is a service of PayPal, Inc., a licensed provider of money transfer services (NMLS ID: 910457). All money transmission is provided by PayPal, Inc. pursuant to PayPal, Inc.’s licenses. © 2020 PayPal, Inc.”

9 Likes

Maybe the trick of that brand is that they have a different kill-file.

5 Likes

Hegemonic bureaucrats that ignore international law at their convenience aren’t overburdened with wisdom, prudence or the slightest concern for collateral damage. I mean, they flat out rob other countries’ citizens…

That’s a catastrophically stupid precedent for a government with over six trillion dollars in foreign debt to set.

12 Likes

A mȯist Maoist missed most mist.

14 Likes

Betcha the banned companies have learned to misspell, rendering these efforts useless. If anyone can weather an arms race, it’s got to be arms dealers.

4 Likes

When I read that I imagined Pay Pal sending over a drone to kill anyone using the wrong words in their orders, or maybe they just forward the names to CIA and let them do it.

5 Likes

Predator drones, man.

3 Likes

This makes hat factories really happy with them, isn’t it?
Also makes Camilla Cabello’s record label upset…

2 Likes

Let me guess, Tardigrade Inc, has headquarters in both Scunthorpe and Penistone.

7 Likes

Certain words can trigger our security system. Unfortunately, this cannot be overridden.

“You have 20 seconds to comply!”

Apparently that just fails because they won’t ship any package that has larger internal measurement that the shipping box.

It’s got one careful owner; or 13, depending on how you are counting.

10 Likes