PayPal won't run transactions referring to tardigrades

Even better – which is to say worse – if you want to find some graphics showing Planck’s law, don’t Google “Black Body Curves”

2 Likes

Came to make the same suggestion. Let’s get to it!

And as for “can’t be over-ridden” - oh, so it’s like a universal constant, then is it? Of course it can be fucking over-ridden if someone at Paypal decides it can. Parsed accurately, this translates as “I am not prepared to escalate this to any level where the option to over-ride it could be reviewed and actually actioned”

6 Likes

Does anyone else have deep doubts about the impressiveness of an internal security system that is apparently just string-matching item descriptions against the name of a sanctioned company; despite (as a payment processor) paypal presumably having access to all sorts of transaction metadata that actually tell you something about where the money is going?

That’s like “oh, we treat the subject line and the ‘from’ field as equivalent” level heuristics.

10 Likes

I suspect that the opposite is true. The desire to preserve a currency’s power (both in terms of adequately favorable and stable exchange rates and in terms of how many transactions are handled in that currency and/or by entities within the issuing country’s jurisdiction) forbids most of the ‘eh, we can just devalue that debt into irrelevance’ strategies that someone holding debt denominated in a given currency might be worried about.

It’s certainly possible that some uses of power run the risk of having one’s foreign assets gone after, or of being forbidden to do business in certain jurisdictions; but it’s not like holders of T bills are lining up to demand that USD become less influential in international finance.

2 Likes

Not yet.

1 Like

Better check if it’s hot goods first.

2 Likes

Well, you say that. What they seem to be saying is that they’ve complied with the nice men in sunglasses and earpieces and the problem could only be solved by the word being taken off the watchlist. Not their problem.

1 Like

And also:

Works fine as long as it’s “Blackbody”

No, I think the main problem with that was that the advert was bigger on the inside than it was on the out. It just wouldn’t fit.

2 Likes

Well, it is PayPal, home of “Sure, set up an account using some random email we won’t validate. Hey, it’s only (your) money.”

1 Like

I think you can shorten that to “I don’t care”.

2 Likes

Your wallet would probably have to be bigger on the inside.

1 Like

…and Long Itchington.

It’s a steal, but you have to pay for it last week.

2 Likes

Ah yes. I ran a system once where our customer was unable to sell an item listed as “Shiraz Glass” (a glass of wine…) because of PayPal’s simplistic OFAC blocking.

So we stopped passing our customer’s descriptions through to PayPal (we sent our own “what you ordered” email) and just did the payment as “payment for Order XYZ”.

5 Likes

by 2030 “Brawndo the thirst Mutiltor” will be the only allowd allowd words

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.