Peeling a thick layer of Ivy from a building

[Read the post]

5 Likes

Ah, just think of the savings in climate control costs they just composted.

14 Likes

Bright college days, oh, carefree days that fly,
To thee we sing with our glasses raised on high.
Let’s drink a toast as each of us recalls
Ivy-covered professors in ivy-covered halls.

–Tom Lehrer, Bright College Days

10 Likes

I bet all those students felt ripped off when they found out it was just a regular community college underneath.

49 Likes

Oh, hallowed halls
And vine-draped walls,
The proudliest sight there is (sight there is).
When grey and sere
Our hair hath turned,
We will still revere
The lessons learned
In our days at dear old Shiz (dear old Shiz),
Our days at dear old…
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-old…
Shiz (dear old Shizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).

4 Likes

Oddly satisfying.

8 Likes

So cool! It’s like a life cast of the building. Looks like a lot of work, though; I wish there was video of how it was removed.

Heyo!

3 Likes

I’m surprised that the 14+ story ivy on the Burbank Holiday Inn has never come tumbling down…

When it dies back a little over winter you can see where they painted around it when they turned the building brown.

11 Likes

Was it ripped off, or did it start to peel on its own and have to be removed?

Either way, so long graffiti shield.

6 Likes

They were already suspicious when the recruiter billed it as one of the Much Lesser Ivies.

7 Likes

My mom would always tell about how ivy crumbles the bricks on buildings… Though I’m not sure how much of that is true and how much is just a mom-ism.

6 Likes

Wow! A building gets a back, sack and crack.

4 Likes

It is true for a given value of Mom.

10 Likes

I reside on our HOA board and that is exactly why we plant IVY anywhere it will grow, saves thousands in repainting and thwarts our local artists’ from destroying our property.

10 Likes

Ann Arbor needs more ivy - some for graffiti prevention (it works) but mostly because we are suffering under an onslaught of new, hideous, cookie-cutter architecture.

2 Likes

I doubt it. They probably found the building appealing.

13 Likes

I’m actually in favor of allowing street art in public spaces, though I want street artists to be encouraged to tag well and not just scrawl dick picks and homophobic slurs. But tagging people’s homes is just a dick move. Since we don’t really know whether this is private or public property ¯(°_o)/¯

4 Likes

Perhaps somebody posted a Vine?

34 Likes

Some creeper?

18 Likes

if(mom() == false)
{
alert(‘Leave me alone! I know what I said!’ + tears + ‘.’);
};

2 Likes