Pensacola bans sheltering from weather with blankets or newspapers

Still trying to unpack this wormhole…

Did I just get denigrated because of my place of birth for simply pointing out a pot and kettle situation?

Isn’t there a whole South Park episode about this? Oh yeah, and they did a parody of a song by Tupac:

1 Like

I predict, if your plan is successful, that soon, all of Pensacola’s homeless will be all like:

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s the pan handling part that is of concern over the law… it’s the part where they are sleeping and have no places to sleep and it’s at night… But I’m just guessing here. It does seem like a law designed to kick people when they are already down.

1 Like

I didn’t argue in favor of that law, in the least. I only pointed out the inaccuracies in the article and mentioned some of what it looks like down here from here.

Similar laws have been passed in other parts of the country, and other program never even made it into the ordinances or laws at all. Back in the 80’s, when I was in CA, there were also programs, such as the City of Santa Ana in Orange County buying people camped at the buildings of the county buildings, themselves, bus passes to get them to leave town. The City of Riverside, in Riverside County, did the same with a large shanty town that was settled out near a local river away from the downtown area.
Last year, and I wish I could recall which town it was - but coastal, up near SF, homeless people were getting charge with utilities theft for plugging cell phones into publicly-available outlets. In another move, public park benches were removed. None of this is new…

In many cities in FL, you are not allowed to park and RV overnight at Walmart, which is allowed n most parts of the country (called waldocking). Which is inconvenient to travelers - but also, kind of an indicator as to things about this place you won’t usually see in other parts of the country - in the winter? The nomadic and homeless are a whole additional class of ‘snow birds’. Still - not claiming to agree with such practices - just pointing out that there are some things about the place that don’t fit with most other state’ situations - a massive seasonal influx of visitors and part-timers being probably the most notable.

It’s easy to comment from a distance. I hear assumptions that racism is the rule, that locals are somehow all rednecks, or all Cubanos - all kinds of weird stuff that just doesn’t begin to reflect any general realities. Pensacola is way the heck up north, near what’s called the Redneck Riviera (Panama City). The climate is different, the body of water it sits on is different, the local culture not much like the southernmost parts, the visitors more likely to be American than Canadian or Israeli or Euro…it’s just a big place. Still - if you’re stuck being homeless? Probably, one of the best places in the country to be - not that it’s ever a good thing.

(Please don’t equate panhandlers with the homeless. Sometimes they are, but often not at all. Pro panhandlers make a better living in some places than some of those commenting here - no kidding!)

1 Like

I think a citation might be useful for this one.

You can google if you want. This isn’t a class I need to pass or a lawsuit I need to win. There have been news articles on it here and there, but other than that, pro panhandlers pretty much don’t document their earnings. That’s partly the point. Try…LA Times, I think?

I wouldn’t care if they did; I’ve had to do it. Tough gig.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.