Alabama cops gloat over "quilt" made from cardboard signs confiscated from homeless people over Christmas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/30/alabama-cops-gloat-over-quil.html

5 Likes

I don’t get it. Is it illegal to be homeless in AL or is it illegal to hold signs by the highway without a busking license? Of course I get the cops in AL are nogoodnicks.

7 Likes

Christ would be proud. Happy holidays!

37 Likes

Happy holidays and a big life to those big fuckers suffer.

2 Likes

Illegal to panhandle in Mobile’s touristy area. Particularly controversial as the city’s anti-panhandling law was ruled unconstitutional in federal court.

34 Likes

When these people read A Christmas Carol and Scrooge suggests that society would be better off letting the poor people die rather than extending a helping hand, do they nod and think “now here’s a guy who really gets it!”

43 Likes

Because human taxidermy is expensive?

Going with it’s prob legal there.

2 Likes

Their “small area”:

5 Likes

God Bless indeed.

29 Likes

What assholes.

30 Likes

Matthew 25:

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

28 Likes

ACAB.

I barring an Xmas miracle, I hope their department is dismantled and these guys are blacklisted from policework.

11 Likes

Bet on it.

11 Likes

Good thing for the police that the poor and homeless can’t afford lawyers.

Don’t they look proud? Proud, white, entitled, and armed. A fantastic combination.

25 Likes

I think they should visit that place in Mobile and donate the december pay to them. I supose they will find there somebody that will explain the Christmas spirit.
If you ask, I gave some money to the local charity that gives food to homeless people. I see priests going to visit the homeless.

On the other hand there are som “fake” homeless here that are actually lookouts for criminals…

4 Likes

Those are homeless people who successfully got jobs!

4 Likes

The lack of self-awareness or self-reflection is amazing. How can someone go through the whole process of confiscating the signs, taping them together in to to a quilt, enlisting a colleague to take the photo and then posting the photo to Facebook and not once step back and wonder “wait - am I an asshole?”.

I imagine these cops sitting in the break room one day, drinking coffee and thinking fondly of all the puppies they kicked that morning and then suddenly one of them has an are we the baddies moment. But that’s probably too optimistic.

29 Likes

In my city it seems like there isn’t much overlap between the panhandlers and the homeless population. The panhandlers are effectively low-level con artists.

It doesn’t seem like our homeless population does a lot of panhandling or begging. I guess this probably varies from city to city.

1 Like

The hiring process for cops weeds out people capable of this sort of thought process.

14 Likes

These cops taking so much glee on a collection of other people’s desperation is really something. Wether panhandling is legal or not, or one’s disposition to give people money or not, treating the homeless like shit and gloating over them is inhuman and cruel.

23 Likes