Pentagon reassures public that its autonomous robotic tank adheres to "legal and ethical standards" for AI-driven killbots

Looking forward to the reCaptchas with “Select all images with a human being”.

11 Likes

that’s not bad PR, that’s a NOBLE CAUSE that now you’re not allowed to disagree with or stop funding

5 Likes

Well… both. It’s a double edged sword. On the other hand, a war that brings home no bodies or wounded soldiers can go on indefinitely, regardless of how many civilians get killed, without the US public having a problem with it at all. The costs might eventually ruffle a few feathers when people realize they don’t have social services because that’s what their tax money is being spent on, but it’s not like anyone’s getting hurt.

6 Likes

That’s pretty much where we are now, isn’t it.

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much. Autonomous robot fighters just means we can have more of it, longer, with even less pushback. New wars or at least new fronts, perpetually.

1 Like

Yemen would be an example. Fought with robots on the US side.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I just re-watched the flip side…

2 Likes

That’s not what the US Military is about.

2 Likes

Autonomous weapons are basically instruments of suicide.

No, it’s protecting YOU from foreign invasion, you’re welcome

as well as preventing you from bothering your neighbors again

That too is not what the US military is about. That’s the usual propagandist drivel for/from trumpians.

bothering your neighbors again

That’s actually a pretty good description for the US foreign policy and use of the US military in the last 7 decades.

IMG_0085

When fully automated armies engage on the battlefield we are only a short hop from Star Trek’s “A Taste of Armageddon.”

3 Likes

It uses Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. I feel safe now. /s I guess a person has to hit ‘Yes’ to a notification to kill a person but still.

1 Like

If the human in the loop is on that robot battlefield, they’re going to hit the dirt and mash all the buttons.

1 Like

homer18

6 Likes

Plus the enemy will figure out how to repair them and use them against us. Probably as RPVs, not AI controlled.

1 Like

I’m sure that U.S. enemies are aware you don’t need sophisticated technology to combat the robotic tank. You simply lure it into a stairwell.

Maybe it’s time to start work on the military version of the 6000 SUX.

2 Likes

why SEVEN decades, specifically

were you bothering your neighbors eight decades ago

1 Like

Made into the 1995 film Screamers

3 Likes