People are better at paying attention now than 30 years ago, study shows

Originally published at: People are better at paying attention now than 30 years ago, study shows | Boing Boing

Jason Sudeikis Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

Important to note that the ability to pay attention to a task (i.e. the ability to focus) is not the same thing as having a long attention span.

9 Likes

Wut?

I call-- . . .

Wait, what’s this post about again?

9 Likes

I dunno… I was looking at my phone…

Swipe Up Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

What?

9 Likes

It’s also not the same thing as comprehension and problem solving.

6 Likes

My attention span is much lower than it was 30 years ago. For sure. Simarillion is no longer on bucket list.

3 Likes

Finding letters? Just means people are playing more candy crush

4 Likes

NEWS FLASH: people better at playing video games than thirty years ago — and worse at everything else

7 Likes

Damn, that’s so close to how Mom interacted with her phone. They had an …adversarial… relationship.

1 Like

Studies with different results?

GIF by Giphy QA

I’d wait to see who wins, but…

Podcasting The Simpsons GIF by AniDom

5 Likes

6 Likes

As a middle school teacher, I have been seeing the opposite.

4 Likes

As a teacher too, I feel this.
With data covering 1990-2021, I can’t imagine that the meta-analysis really captures any changes rooted in the pandemic.

EDIT: oh also, it’s testing adults! They also tested children and did not find the same gains, so kids’ attention has not increased.

3 Likes

… and has nothing to do with IQ, either

2 Likes

I totally agree: I may have become more attentive towards instant stimuli (which have considerably grown. Swipe, swipe), but holding focus degraded, i feel - for example when I want to read an educative book.
If carried out as described it seems like an inferior study to measure the qualitiy of attention.

1 Like

I’m better at paying attention … to all the wrong things.

5 Likes

Gonna guess this has to do with the removal of leaded gasoline.

2 Likes

I guess this article was posted a few days ago, but I’m only noticing it now. . . .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.