People are selling water on eBay from the recently shuttered Splash Mountain ride

You just embedded the fucking this right the fuck there. If people want to see it, they can find it. It’s not difficult. It doesn’t need to be here. Just take it down.

4 Likes

I remember seeing “Song of the South” at the local children’s movie theater back in the early 70s in New England, and mom being quite unwilling to answer the questions I had about it. Since I was in kindergarten at the time, I can’t remember much about it, but it seemed as foreign and exotic to my experiences as any fantasy or fairy tale I’d seen at the time, and definitely wrong in ways I couldn’t yet understand.

1 Like

Gross

Ugh Disgusted GIF

6 Likes

Disney was still including clips from the animated portions of the movie in compilation specials and stuff like that for years after they realized the full film was too racist to keep in circulation, so a lot of adults who say “I don’t remember anything especially racist about that movie” are actually just remembering those clips divorced from the live-action framing device.

13 Likes

rob lowe GIF

5 Likes

we always LOVED rolling on potion miscibility!

2 Likes

Hijinks often ensued.

1 Like

I remember my local library had a projection version of the film and screened it for interested people. I wasn’t mature enough to analyze “is this racist?”, but old enough to remember the room, the visuals, etc. Relatively little of the plot. Could have been as late as 1985.

I don’t think the subtext of the screening was “look at this completely innocent and unproblematic children’s entertainment” at least.

3 Likes

Sorta seems to me that in 1989 when the ride opened, Disney was still hoping that their character designs for Brer Rabbit, etc., and licensing of the Uncle Remus IP, could be disentangled at some point from the racism of the movie. And that including the characters in the ride was a baby step in that direction. I don’t see how it would have been possible to do it though.

I actually can’t imagine a respectful way to turn the IP into a modern film or series. (I’d thought the original stories were collected/retold by a Black author, but they were not, and there’s no ambiguity about whether it was cultural appropriation.)

2 Likes

I’m certain that tap water from most places would be far healthier than the stuff recirculating in the Splash Mountain septic tank. :face_vomiting:

5 Likes

Most relevant piece starts at about 1:30 in

4 Likes

I’m almost certain that Florida swamp water would be healthier than Splash Mountain water.

8 Likes

FWIW I remember seeing the whole thing, uncut, on TV in the ’70s or early ’80s :grimacing:

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think Sunday nights were set in stone for the timeslot for Wonderful World of Disney across the nation; stuff like that tended to be regional, at least back then…

3 Likes

It wouldn’t even be completely dishonest to sell water vials saying that it contained water from that ride. Over the decades that it’s been open it has been filled and drained repeatedly, so the water that once flowed through that ride is well mixed as part of the earth’s water cycle. Any random glass of water (which has around 8x10^24 molecules in it) would contain billions of water molecules that have been just about any specific place you can imagine. (But best not to dwell on that, it gets weird quickly.)

So, random fact about how passionate some people are about that ride: I personally know of multiple instances where people have scattered the ashes of loved ones in the flume there. It’s not quite as popular as the Haunted Mansion for that purpose, but it was popular enough to be an occasional headache for the Disneyland staff.

5 Likes

Or British. It was still sold on VHS here until around 2000.

8 Likes

Just say that it’s Homeopathic Splash Mountain Water.

1 Like

Universal just entered the conversation.

1 Like

Their Twitter account does have a reputation for these snarky comments. Good for them!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.