Florida town accidentally sold its water tower to local businessman

Originally published at: Florida town accidentally sold its water tower to local businessman | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Water, like in toilets?

20 Likes

Florida Man chooses to not Florida-Man? This is news.

21 Likes

I don’t want to know what sort of insider relationship the city and local businesspeople have. The fact that he bought a freaking building for 55k seems like a sign that scratching each others backs is not unusual.

11 Likes

He must be the Florida gentleman I hear so much about.

6 Likes

I bet Nestle was jealous.

15 Likes

With all those profits from selling water at inflated prices he could have hired goons to destroy peoples rain water barrels and the like.

6 Likes

I really worry about city bureaucrats who don’t know how to do their own jobs. A real problem of the Republican belief that government is the problem is that we are hemorrhaging government workers who have the institutional knowledge to make government work. My husband does low income housing development projects and is constantly working with city bureaucrats who don’t know the laws and policies that govern development projects. Because my husband works for a non-profit with smaller projects he get’s the B team. There is an entire level of government run by the younger baby boomers that actually know how to do stuff (the A team) that may very well collapse in a few years when they all retire.

13 Likes

I’ve got bad news for you, a lot of GenXers in government who started right out of university aren’t too far out from retiring. I know one early Xer already retired from government, and a few other mid-Xers that will jump ship as soon as they turn 50.

14 Likes

He’d be flush with cash?

6 Likes

Or electrolytes.

6 Likes

Yeah. It’s the same old local authority cisternic corruption.

(If only I could get the r and the n to nestle a little closer to each other.) :wink:

5 Likes

It does look like it’d make a pretty sweet climbing wall, though…

2 Likes

Might be why he was so quick to return the water tower to avoid drawing too much attention to the deal.

3 Likes

I fear you are correct, since I’m an early 50s gen X teacher looking to retire in a year or two.

4 Likes

Read said in an email to NPR. “The city’s intention was to sell me a split section of the parcel with a small garage.”

I believe this is the property. 55k sounds plausible:

9 Likes

Seen on a t-shirt:

You think it’s bad now?
In 20 years, this country will be run
by people who were home-schooled
by day-drinkers

8 Likes

I would guess that property connected to the town water tower is often not prime real estate or a well kept-up building.

3 Likes

Add in “population 8,191” and the property values fall into line.

And this tidbit:

Median Home Cost: $104,900

7 Likes

I’m classed as a baby boomer are they so much competent than than next generations?
I’m sure boomers have really left things in the best shape.
The generation before boomers thought the same about the next generation to come and so on in to the future…

1 Like