People in Victorian England were fanatical about kaleidoscopes

[Read the post]

1 Like

So in essence, the predecessor of Instagram?

6 Likes

Perhaps all websites could be improved with a 30 degree angle mirror.

4 Likes

I hate when that happens. We need more dedicated hobby horse lanes! Share the road.

8 Likes

The Victorian era didn’t begin until 1837 [at least, that’s the start of her reign]. Victoria wasn’t even born until 1819. </pedantry>

2 Likes

Welcome to life as a human being.

5 Likes

Poor guy. Too bad he didn’t think of it the other way around, as the kaleidoscope revealing a beauty hidden in “unsightly” bits of broken glass. E’en the finest gems sparkleth not in darkness.

2 Likes

3 Likes

No different today. The streets are full of people staring at their kaleidoscopes. It doesn’t matter whether they’re by Apple or Samsung; same effect. Riding a hobby horse is just too risky these days.

1 Like

The title of the illustration is ‘Human Nonsense’. The joke is on the dandy on the hobby horse as well. (The hipster on the fixie.)

4 Likes

My theory is that the Victorians were just desperately bored and didn’t have our awesome technology for useless distraction.

The ones wealthy enough not to be dying from colonialism or working 18-hour days from childhood to early death, at least. Old-timey first world problems, as it were.

See also: the shocking popularity of parlor games in the same period.

1 Like

Hey, in my neighborhood, I often sight a person peering into their kaleidoscope WHILE riding their hobby horse. Boggles.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.