People who paid a fortune for Bored Apes are now suing Sotheby’s, Paris Hilton, Justin Bieber, and others as NFT prices plummet

7 Likes

And they can change the content depending on who’s looking at it.

7 Likes

Even collectibles are good for something. Baseball cards can be mounted for wall art. Jewellery can be worn, or given away, or melted down for the scrap value. You can read classic comics and play with Star Wars toys.

What ever could you do with an NFT except boast you’ve got it, or sell it to someone?

11 Likes

POG

9 Likes

Imagine someone who bought an NFT of twitter.com.

8 Likes

Cut off in the one box but the kicker is “now worth less than $4”

ETA: Still approximately $4 too high.

16 Likes

Not Fucking There.

16 Likes

The state of the NFT marketplace…

world_explode

6 Likes

Yes… yes I do

(skip to 2:24)

9 Likes

… or a napkin upon which is written the street address of a person who has seen the Brooklyn Bridge and will draw a picture of it if asked

10 Likes

Which is why I specifically said they own

4 Likes

… and yet, there are other, more efficient ways to create non-fungible collectibles. The performance and cost of NFTs are prohibitive.

2 Likes

selling for $43,391.

I’m surprised the NFTs have held their price so well.

Worth ≠ Price :smile::+1:

Um… Emu… you don’t own the jpg. :grimacing:

Welcome aboard, @mikebirty :+1:

7 Likes

Ok. Not really sure the distinction, because they didn’t “buy the right to say they own certain URLs.” I guess they have the right to say they do, just like I do, but they didn’t buy the right to say it.

They just bought a token with the plain-text of the URL in it, and certain people mistakenly believed they owned either a URL or an image.

2 Likes

(1). Plan to get rich by ripping off suckers.
(2). Find out that you’re the sucker.
(3). Sue anyone who was paid to encourage you to think (1).

Those celebrities let me think that after I bought the face-eating leopard, I could rip off some even greater sucker by selling it to them for an even greater price!

11 Likes

One of the biggest misconceptions out there seems to be that buying an NFT is the same as buying the copyright for a digital asset. Obviously it’s not, but even people who really really ought to know better seem to have bought into that idea. For example, Seth Green was going to make a TV show based on a “Bored Apes” drawing for some reason and then said he had to pause production after the NFT was stolen in a hack.

How does a guy who built an entire animated TV series using other people’s characters under the “fair use” doctrine of copyright law remain so ignorant about the basics of intellectual property?

10 Likes

The undisclosed buyer had an inflated self-esteem and fucktonnes of money that he’d stolen from other people. He was a “traditional collector”.

5 Likes

Again, I know they didn’t buy an image or even an URL pointing to an image. They didn’t pay a registrar or pay hosting fees. What they did buy was the bragging rights to say they bought an image or the URL to an image to other idiots who think they bought an image.

4 Likes

Right? It boggles my mind to think how poor your judgement needs to be to think, “Well, $43K must be the bottom. It can only go up from here.”

5 Likes

7 Likes