Seth Green's "Bored Ape" stolen, putting in jeopardy the TV show it was set to star in

Originally published at: Seth Green's "Bored Ape" stolen, putting in jeopardy the TV show it was set to star in | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Dude already had a Robot Chicken.
Never work with kids or animals.
He never learns.

18 Likes

I have here an NFT of the original NFT he purchased, so he’s free to purchase from me the rights to use the rights to his original NFT. The show will be even more meta that way.

22 Likes

“The thief and any subsequent recipient owns it in tulipspace,”

Nice! Nice reference to the 17th century tulip bulb mania:

17 Likes

Well, NFT ownership doesn’t mean squat, so he can just make the show anyway.

Even if he buys into the big lie that NFTs mean anything, he can just tweak a few pixels and make a new NFT of it. Boom, problem solved.

12 Likes

Let’s see the thief haul that bag into court.

Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. If it has been reported stolen, filing a claim of copyright would expose the thief who stole it.

10 Likes

Cue Eric Andre meme. How could this have happened? His nothing was gonna be worth so much money!

4 Likes

Surely if it’s stolen rather than sold he still retains the rights? I mean, it someone steals my car but I happened to have taken out the floor mat I can then keep it rather than handing it to the thief?
In this case surely he retains everything about the NFT that wasn’t stolen, which is everything except some numbers in a ledger.
Looks like a publicity stunt of some kind to me.

Also, disappointing to hear that Seth Green has bought into the crypto thing.

16 Likes

Possibly the most surreal part of this: “@DarkWing84 looks like you bought my stolen ape- hit me up so we can fix it”

It’s like your friend shows up a the local cafe driving the car that was stolen from you a few days ago.
NFTs only “value” is displaying to everyone that your “own” them, so while the thiefs might remain pseudononymous, the people who buy from them are advertising to the world that they have your stolen property.

39 Likes

So it turns out (unsurprisingly) that almost everything NFT promoters say about NFTs are a lie. You don’t actually own the copyrights to bored ape NFTs. All ownership rights are retained by BAYC. The BAYC grants a broad license to the holder of the token. So it wouldn’t be the new “owner” suing for copyright infringement, but BAYC suing for violating a license agreement. Its stupid stacked on top of stupid.

17 Likes

It’s amazing to me that anyone could be that commercially successful and still think NFTs have diddly-squat to do with intellectual property rights for artwork.

I would have thought that someone who has spent the last couple decades producing content that parodies pop culture would have a better working understanding of how intellectual property laws work. Even if he chooses to remain willfully ignorant you’d think he’d have a lawyer or two who could clue him in.

11 Likes

It could just be a coincidence, but the reference to “DarkWing84” strongly suggests that this is merely some sort of promotional effort, and one that is proving to be effective thus far.

(Even by the pathetically low standards of NTFs these are some singularly unattractive characters.)

10 Likes

Oh no. How sad. Next?

2 Likes

If a thief stole someone’s Ugly Monkey GIF before they could make a TV show about it, then I say that thief deserves a vote of thanks from all of us.

15 Likes

Thank you for the phrase tulipspace… I will cherish this.

11 Likes

NFT = Not Fucking There.

11 Likes

“Then finally you realise the truth; there is no ape.”

9 Likes

I thought whoever had the key was supposed to be the de facto owner of the crypto thingy in question and only an oppressive commienazi would ask how they came by it? Or is that only true as long as it is someone else’s monkey picture?

4 Likes

Yeah, this sounds like bs to hype this project.

3 Likes