Peoria police department recruiting ad features Call of Duty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/16/peoria-police-department-recruiting-ad-features-call-of-duty.html

3 Likes

Are those silencers? What the fuck do police need silencers for?

5 Likes

I’m sure this lot will be very effective if Peoria has a school shooting.

1 Like

As good as the Uvalde team was, at least!

2 Likes

Meal Team 6- Gravy Seals.

1 Like

This is so gross - on multiple levels. It’s bad enough when someone uses the unreality of a video game or movie, etc. to promote themselves or recruit, but it’s not even a fantasy version of the cops being used, it’s fantasy militarization of the cops. Plus, I’m offended by how ham-fisted it is. They just awkwardly stuck the words “Call of Duty” into a police recruitment pitch. (I’m assuming the image isn’t some awkward cosplaying version of an actual Call of Duty image, with absurdly fit video game characters being replaced by obese middle aged dudes.)

I’m assuming the answer is that same for the question, “What the fuck do police need [90% of their gear] for?” which is: they really don’t.

I’m a little bit shocked at how clearly out of shape they are. I would have assumed a certain level of physical fitness would be required for “elite SWAT” types (I’m assuming patrol cops don’t get to play this kind of dress-up), but… apparently not? Assuming it’s not pure cosplay, and they really are cops, I suppose even SWAT must not involve any real physical activity - like being a street cop but not actually having to chase anyone down (and a lot of street cops are in no shape to chase anyone down).

3 Likes

The only answer I can think of is “to minimize hearing damage at the firing range,” but isn’t that what ear protection is for?

Aside from the “appealing to people who like video game violence” issue it’s also a major red flag when people liken the job of a peace officer to that of a soldier. Doubly so when the people making the comparison are the police themselves.

IMG_1080

3 Likes

“It always embarrassed Samuel Vimes when civilians tried to speak to him in what they thought was “policeman.” If it came to that, he hated thinking of them as civilians. What was a policeman, if not a civilian with a uniform and a badge? But they tended to use the term these days as a way of describing people who were not policemen. It was a dangerous habit: once policemen stopped being civilians the only other thing they could be was soldiers.”

― Terry Pratchett, Snuff (emphasis mine)

4 Likes

Police.

For when shooting at fake people just isn’t doing it for you anymore.

1 Like

Peoria recently recognized the 50-year anniversary of a fairly famous school standoff

2 Likes

On top of being a stupid, cheesy tag line, that is just a horribly designed poster with one guy hidden and the out of shape meat shield front and center. They look like badly photographed cosplayers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.