Peter Cushing, horror movie icon, miniature wargaming enthusiast

Originally published at: Peter Cushing, horror movie icon, miniature wargaming enthusiast | Boing Boing

6 Likes

That’s cool. IIRC, HG Wells helped pioneer modern war gaming.

8 Likes

I’m suddenly reminded of Henry Cavill painting his Warhammer miniatures. I think Cavill may be the better painter.

Yeah, he invented the idea of a recreational wargame, wrote a book of rules and was the first to codify and come up with terms for a number of things that are standard parts of war/role playing games today. (e.g. “melee” combat)

4 Likes

For (according to the announcer in the video) “boys aged from 10 to 105, and the more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys’ games and books”

3 Likes

Shouldn’t Napoleon have been convicted of war crimes? Not so says this ascot sporting soldier diva!

s reactions share GIF

19 Likes

Podcast Business GIF by lady-brains

16 Likes

When it comes to figure painting skills and presentation, expectations have grown tremendously over the past few decades. Even the smallest scales ‘must’ be shaded and highlighted; except for reds, black, and white, the process is not difficult at all.

3 Likes

I bet he was using those enamel paints, mini paints have come a long way

4 Likes

I don’t know if that was just simple misogyny or some sort of joke/complex “negging” because from what I’ve read, wargames were quite popular with women at the time.

Yeah, it’s more presumption on my part because of that. The last 20 years, thanks to the internet, have really raised the game on miniature painting. The kind of stuff that used to win competitions and feature prominently in White Dwarf magazine now is considered “a good start.”

Almost certainly, which makes painting more difficult. Acrylics only took off for hobby painting relatively recently - when I first started painting minis, enamels were still pretty commonly used because that’s what was widely available.

3 Likes

Water-based acrylics have pretty much taken over.

3 Likes

I’ll be forever disappointed if I find out Cushing was playing anything other than Necrons.

1 Like

that’s what i used back in the day, for sure. you mean there’s new paint technology for miniatures? land’s sake.

2 Likes

Or an assertion that Edwardian society tried to fob off worse entertainment options on girls; but probably the first one

3 Likes

Happy David Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Or assumed things associated with women was inferior. Because women were (and are still) considered inferior.

5 Likes

I still have some old minis painted in Testors Enamel. Ugh - they mostly look bad. The Julie Guthrie Blue Dragon isnt too bad.

I remember soaking a bunch of storm troopers in gas to remove the paint and then used cheap latex paint at walmart and had better luck. Got several decent star wars minis done that way somewhere.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 21.10.51

He was “crefting”? Is that an amalgam of creating and crafting?

3 Likes

It’s crafting in a posh English accent.

7 Likes

It’s the Inspector Clouseau pronunciation of crafting.

3 Likes

Please would you and @robertmckenna form a sub-committee to examine this and report back to us when you’ve reached a consensus?

4 Likes