Peter Thiel: the "libertarian" who loves mass government surveillance, monopolies, and censorship

I would argue that “anarcho”-capitalism isn’t anarchist, as the hierarchies from property ownership are not only preserved, but are a key part of the theories behind it.

It’s a Europe vs USA linguistic battle. It isn’t lost over here yet.

6 Likes

“All models are wrong but some are useful.” ~ George Box

Approaching political philosophy as religion is moronic or, to borrow your colorful phrase, a fart huffing wank. The study of the social structures of the polis is a conversation thousands of years old and even Aristotle was just attempting to organize and write down a discussion that probably reaches back to the first agricultural conurbation. That’s why being an -ism is really fantastically imprudent IMHO.

"Those who build walls are their own prisoners. I’m going to go fulfil my proper function in the social organism. I’m going to go unbuild walls.” ~ Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Snarking is not complaining.

That’s good to hear. But even if the word is lost, ideas cannot be destroyed, so I don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Yes! I, Millie Fink, very much enjoyed and appreciated I, Daniel Blake (along with many other Ken Loach efforts).

1 Like

Maybe he is just an asshole.

No, wait - delete the maybe.

https://youtu.be/zHExVS09qRI

I promise. If I ever get rich, this is EXACTLY what I will do.

3 Likes

Agreed. Most modern “capitalists” aren’t aware that a free market has to be regulated in order to be free. They mistakenly and foolishly conflate free with an unregulated market. They fail to realize that a unregulated market collapse quickly into monopolies or several mutually predatory large corporations. They don’t realize that “market self regulation” was an idea grafted onto capitalism and seldom works, it is a myth and not a core tenet of capitalism.

7 Likes

If I ever get rich, I’ll setup a fighting league using heavy earth moving equipment.

I mean, how cool would it be to see a three way construction excavator boxing-match-free-for-all?

3 Likes

It seems to me that most people who consider themselves “libertarian” are all in favor of having no limits on their own behavior, but want to restrict everyone else. That’s the very essence of hypocrisy.

3 Likes

That nicely summarizes most libertarians I’ve discusses libertarianism with.

When you collapse the role of government you end up with a bunch of micro-fiefdoms which are eventually inevitably forcibly consolidated. No one who studies history fantasizes about this type of scenario, it is never good for anyone.

4 Likes

Libertarianism of all types assumes so much without basis that it may as well be a religion.

Ah, the old standard of “I don’t believe in nouns”, also known as centrism. At any rate, all you added was “TECHNICALLY this type of libertarian blah blah blah”, so feel free to actually defend libertarinism or something instead of copy-pasting smug, out of context quotes.

No, I’m not a centrist. I have strong views on most topics and I’ve never found a single school of sociopolitical philosophy that aligns with all my own stances and beliefs, but I’ve found some of them in many, including some in various schools of anarchism and libertarianism and several others.

I’m not the one being smug. And I have zero intention of defending a fucking philosophy. What you study is your own business. Do you know what the most useless waste of time on the internet is? Arguing about what people do and don’t think libertarianism is. Issues and policies matter. Team politics are for trollies, fools and those too young to know better.

Have a happy New Year.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.