Petition to make it illegal for police to have sex with sex workers before arresting them

Who you are, your intentions, and the danger you pose to that person.

Utterly shitty!

3 Likes

And the only thing that would keep if from getting laughed out of court, is because no DA would ever prosecute it.

The nature of the act is sex for money. It’s what the prostitute is agreeing to (knowing full well there is always a possibility of arrest), and it’s what the prostitute is arrested for.

1 Like

Again, I’ve not said anything about morality. That prostitution is illegal in most of the US is just a fact, and I’m arguing this from how things currently stand.

But you said yourself that you don’t think prostitution should be illegal, so why would you have a problem with a prostitute using entrapment and charges of rape by deception as defenses?

Because it’s a misuse of the law. I’m in favor of changing/abolishing that law, not doing a misguided end-run around it, that doesn’t actually solve the problem.

Are you nuts? Sex can be romantic, recreational AND transactional all at the same time. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Then you’re advocating from a lawful stupid position. If the law is immoral or unjust, following the law and advocating for the following of the law because “it’s the law” is at best a selfish indifference to injustice, which might as well be tacit approval of injustice for the amount of harm it can do. If a law is wrong, you should advocate for its repeal, not support it because “it’s the law.”

4 Likes

I’d like your thoughts about the following scenario:

Person A paid a sex worker to have sex with the worker.
Part of the terms involved are that the sex worker is to be blindfolded, which the worker agrees to.
When the sex worker removes the blindfold, the sex worker learns that they were really having sex with some other person B.

The nature of the act (“sex for money”) hasn’t changed, but the person who the sex worker had sex with is not the person that the worker thought they were agreeing to have sex with.

Rape by deception, or not?

6 Likes

This isn’t a case of civil disobedience. This is the inappropriate application of rape-by-fraud, which could set a precedent that could have a raft of unintended consequences. Do you really think someone should be charged with rape, because he told a first date that his bass boat was a yacht? That’s the road you’re heading down.

How could he have used “authority under law” if she didn’t know he was a cop? If the cop had said, “have sex with me or I’ll arrest you”, then that would be a misuse of authority.

So your argument is that if she gets arrested, but gets to keep the money, it’s not rape?

That’s a different problem. A big problem, but still a different problem.

“You rape survivors just don’t understand what sexual assault is.”

Are you for reals?

13 Likes

You’re ignoring my numerous posts on this thread where I’ve stated that rape by deception isn’t just about lying.

Here’s one:

Just a technical note, you can quote multiple people in one post so you don’t have to post four times in a row to reply to each one of them.

8 Likes

And pretty soon people will be able to marry their dogs, right?

8 Likes

Yeah, I can’t watch that movie anymore. That scene, and a couple of others, are just way over the line. Too bad, it use to be one of my favorites.

1 Like

No, Senator Santorium, it does not mean that.

Thanks so much for the false quote. That’s classic straw-man.

I’m interested in know something here. Would this situation classify as emotional distress/trauma related to the sexual act? A lot of the examples presented in this tread I can easily see how the victim has an emotional connection between the sexual act itself and the perpetrator, but I have a much harder time seeing that one exists here. As others have said this is a transactional agreement so there really shouldn’t be much emotional investment (this all assumes the sex aspect all goes as it should), is the sex worker emotional over the fact they had sex, or over the fact they were caught engaging in an illegal activity?

I don’t see a lot of difference if you replace sex worker with drug dealer - there is some slight difference in the situation, but I can see how a narc in a mid level bust might or would try the product if we are talking about kilos of drugs. My three year old son is never sorry he gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar, he’s sorry he got caught. If an officer is never allowed to lie, then the sex worker would, either way the truth compromises both of their positions.

You just tried to use my experiences to minimize the experiences of other women. This is the same issue - you’re doing the same thing the cops all over the country do every day. You just don’t have the power that they do to cause problems on a large scale.

7 Likes

The sex worker in the situation being discussed has agreed to have sex with a john in exchange for money. They would not have agreed to have sex with a cop for no money and then to be arrested. The cop knowing this, has sex with her because he can, with the understanding that they have no recourse given thier position.

It is exploitation, and rape by lack of informed consent. It is along the same lines of using the threat of jail to coerce a detained or otherwise comprimsed individual into unconstitutional “searches” or to otherwise do the officers bidding.

There isn’t any other situation in which an arresting officer could have sex with the arrestee that you are anyone else would defend. As others have said, the fact that a sex worker accepts money in exchange for sexual acts does not negate their personhood or right to informed consent and especially their right to not be used by the police prior to and as part of their arrest.

15 Likes