Pharma company will pay $15.4m in fines for bribing docs to prescribe an overpriced med that brings in $1b/year

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/minor-business-expense.html

5 Likes

That sounds like the cost of doing business. $15m is less than $1b x however many years they did it.

I say dismantle the whole corporation when found corrupting especially something as vitally important as healthcare.

21 Likes

You’d think the government, with all it’s power, could demand a bigger cut of the profits. Every small time crook who has run a protection racket is just shaking their heads.

15 Likes

“Nice baby you got there… it’d be a shame if it had a seizure.”

Should wins some awards for Most Evil Corporate Racket. I’m sure there’s competition, but jeez.

11 Likes

Sounds like great value for investors

9 Likes

1.5%. Way less than a typical finders fee. Beyond gross.

6 Likes

Mallinckrodt (which is about to change its name to Sonorant Therapeutics)

Cool, now your shitty company sounds even more like a front for an actual supervillain. Good work.

Trading $15m for billions in revenue isn’t even a slap on the wrist. I don’t even know what it is. A stern look? A single raised eyebrow? Ridiculous.

9 Likes

The only death penalty I support is a corporate death penalty. We need a law that requires the company be dissolved, shareholders stock holdings zeroed, it’s assets sold off and put into medicaid and all of its executives banned from holding office in a publicly traded company or nonprofit.

Do that a few times and watch things change.

19 Likes

In college I worked in Mallinkrodt hall after leaving lab in Monsanto hall. Both companies spend more on building naming rights and other “philanthropy” than what mallinkrodt will pay for defrauding sick people out of billions. This sort of shit is sickening and I’d like to think that reputable schools would stop white-washing their image by sticking their names everywhere (right after the company was fined 10x what they took from patients)

8 Likes

A. Fine. Is. A. Price.

In this case, a very affordable one, too.

7 Likes

The low low cost of doing business.

2 Likes

Ropes and lampposts.

1 Like

Wow I’m shocked shocked… well not that shocked.

It’ll be fine.

3 Likes

Hey. Watcha gonna do eh?
Sbiznuss. Snot personal.

1 Like

Why doesn’t your country have this?

2 Likes

Because republicans don’t want it. That’s really all there is to it.

It would punish the rich “more” than the poor. And they have an intentional inability to understand marginal cost and marginal income. If they allowed themselves to understand the concept of marginal impact, they’d never be able to self justify any economic policy they propose.

4 Likes

“Looks like we got us a fine, Jim, better go look in the couch cushions to pay it.”

Whats $15mn vs $1bn every year!

And you mean to say, no one noticed the bribery when Mallinkdrodt bought the company? And whistleblowers have come up after the bribery stopped

hmm.