Philadelphians debate whether parks and rec centers should use anti-personnel weapons that indiscriminately target children

Yep. Very important to keep those 25 year olds from hanging out at the park at night or going for an early morning jog because … reasons.

What a wonderfully welcoming park!

13 Likes

Yeah, the article already said that.

1 Like

That’s what they are.

Any non-lethal device meant for deterring people from staying in one place for ‘too long’ is “anti-personnel.” (The term ‘weapon’ is rather hyperbolic, but Corey’s gonna Corey.)

12 Likes

No, goofy! You’re supposed to read the article that the post links to. That’s why they do that whole hyperlink thing down at the bottom of the BB post. It’s placed there especially for you, so you don’t have to go citing phantasms that occur to you by whimsy, such as “7-11”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say. An above post could shortened to

1 Like

Amongst the ‘gatekeepers’ (official and otherwise), “loitering” is a code word amongst said keepers and a dog-whistle for others who - if they had absolute unfettered power – would choose who gets to use parks and rec centers.

9 Likes

How did I end up in this timeline? And if I shave my goatee, can I get back to the real world?

9 Likes

Philly Parks Rules and Regulations
“A 10 p.m. curfew exists throughout the parks and recreation system.”

No one is welcome from 10pm to 6am. Babies, 25yo, no one.

2 Likes

Ditto (+ a decade or so)

Well as long as that’s the rule, a rule which clearly came from on high, all is well.

I repeat:

5 Likes

So did I.

Christ on a crutch! And people wonder why kids don’t trust adults.

Glad the Milford Port Authority removed theirs, but they were trying to keep youth out of…:face_with_monocle:libraries?!

Plato was close when he said that “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors,” but it turns out you actually wind up being governed by asshats deliberately trying to summon the apocalypse.

Obligatory joke that the Welsh already have a sonic weapon; it’s called Welsh. :smirk:

15 Likes

Yes, that’s a deplorable thing for a city to do… but can I be forgiven for thinking, “Finally, I have a way to keep the damn kids off my lawn!”?

And libraries, as @davide405 mentioned above. Neoliberalism abhors public spaces available to anyone to use at their pleasure and free of admission charge as nature abhors a vacuum.

11 Likes

I’m homeless in Philly

6 Likes

Technologies evolve. Nets of micro-drones will soon give us a Vernor Vinge world of ubiquitous surveillance and interaction. AI’s running the tiny spies will note who’s underage, nonwhite, poor, excludable, and will direct resources onto the target – swarming gnat-bots, loud, stinging, nasty; or summoned cops. Stores will drive ‘loiterers’ from their vicinities and allow access only to likely customers. The defacto caste system is near.

2 Likes

Vancouver, BC. Also known as No Fun City. What kind of sickos does a city with a nickname like that produce to make them want to create a loitering deterrent?

in Copenhagen the the early 2000s they used a sound emitting device to get rid of the junkies outside the rail station it only really seemed to affect the junkies . I found it rather pleasant to my ears personally … and the device was an already installed public address system that was to used to play …drum rolll… classical music. I don’t why but junkies tend to hate it.

1 Like

Wasn’t classical music used to drive away punkers etc? I’ve used ominous church chants to silence noisy campers.

I wonder how this affects pets and wildlife. It seems potentially torturous for cats and dogs in the neighborhood.

3 Likes