Philadelphians debate whether parks and rec centers should use anti-personnel weapons that indiscriminately target children

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/torturing-children.html

8 Likes

Give the teenagers sound canceling headphones, ladders, metal shears, sledgehammers and insulation spray foam and see how long those speakers would continue to work in Philly.

26 Likes

This is fuckin bull shit. I’m almost 35 and I can hear it.

21 Likes

Why can’t these devices be smashed?

8 Likes

As if America weren’t falling down the crap shoot fast enough, let’s also use sonic weapons on children in public spaces.

Sounds like a great time to start that tax payer funded project of pulling wings off flies and scortching ants with a magnifying glass in the sun.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuluuuuck me.

15 Likes

I’m 36 & can hear it…

3 Likes

Rise up Philly! You’ve done it before and can do it again!

6 Likes

Unless those children are the wrong color and happen to be hanging around places that are… exactly the types of places they should be hanging around :confused:

21 Likes
5 Likes

Y’all are missing the point here. Once the kids have kept away for long enough the parks can either be sold off or repurposed to things that few people young enoug to be bothered are interested in.

Have a look at Phoenix: it has an enormous park area per capita, but if you subtract mountains, desert, and golf courses there’s very little left. Where we lived there was an elementary school playground (off limits to adults and for much of the day to everyone) and nothing else within several miles besides a huge golf course.

This is Phily’s future.

13 Likes

What are parks for, if not loitering?

32 Likes

This works in revers too. Kids are setting their phones to use high-pitched beeps and bops so parents and teachers down’t know they’re getting messages etc.

From 2006: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-new-ring-tone-teachers-cant-hear/

2 Likes

Oh what a brave new world, that has such people in it

Still yelling, the khaki babies were loaded on to their dumb-waiters and wheeled out, leaving behind them the smell of sour milk and a most welcome silence.

One of the students held up his hand; and though he could see quite well why you couldn’t have lower-cast people wasting the Community’s time over books, and that there was always the risk of their reading something which might undesirably decondition one of their reflexes, yet … well, he couldn’t understand about the flowers. Why go to the trouble of making it psychologically impossible for Deltas to like flowers?

Patiently the D.H.C. explained. If the children were made to scream at the sight of a rose, that was on grounds of high economic policy. Not so very long ago (a century or thereabouts), Gammas, Deltas, even Epsilons, had been conditioned to like flowers–flowers in particular and wild nature in general. The idea was to make them want to be going out into the country at every available opportunity, and so compel them to consume transport.

"And didn't they consume transport?" asked the student.

"Quite a lot," the D.H.C. replied. "But nothing else."

Primroses and landscapes, he pointed out, have one grave defect: they are gratuitous
12 Likes

This is a little less Philly-hyperbolic if this portion of the NPR article is not stripped:

"
But in Philadelphia, Parks & Recreation defends its use of the Mosquito, saying the devices are operational from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. only, and they’re just one part of an overall anti-vandalism strategy that includes fences and gates, security cameras and night watch staff.
"

6 Likes

Like this fuckery

7 Likes

Cory wrote the summary… Hyperbolic style on his posts is his MO. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This country is pathetic. We’ve become a nation of haters. People of Color, LGBTQ’s, immigrants of any flavor, the impoverished and on it goes. Only a select handful of white people of a certain age and financial stability are considered worthy. The rest of the population needs to learn their place and that place is somewhere out of sight and out of mind. If you are a member of the undesirables and a privileged person or group wants to use your space you need to move, get out of their way and do nothing to upset them as you go. This kind of hateful shit is going to come back and bite the elites on their special asses and the sooner the better.

3 Likes

That’s a seriously clickbaity title for a story about a buzzing noise that keeps teens from hanging around the 7-11.
“Anti-personnel weapon”?

3 Likes

Me too and I have slight hearing damage.

1 Like

Recreation centers as well.

What would you call something that is designed to cause pain to persons?

12 Likes