Philadelphia's historic "Boner Forever" building under restoration, iconic graffiti may be erased

Originally published at: Philadelphia's historic "Boner Forever" building under restoration, iconic graffiti may be erased | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Nothing lasts forever.

Particularly boners.

28 Likes

I would love if they preserved it though… I mean, when they renovated the iconic flop house the Clermont Inn, they kept the Clermont Lounge around (although that’s probably only because famous people have been there, rather than because it’s an underground institution).

15 Likes

I saw that first picture and read “Boner Fever”.

paging Dr. Freud

10 Likes

If they do, it’s recommended to see a doctor.

17 Likes

Marriott already has so many sub-brands. Why couldn’t they add a Boner Forever brand? It’s still better than a Fairfield Inn…

21 Likes

A.K.A. “The Priapism Building.”

9 Likes

Gonna be hard to say goodbye. :wink: :point_right: :point_right:

8 Likes

What a cool old building. I wish we worked harder to save more of them like that.

9 Likes

Mmmm. Urbex.

2 Likes

hey-blondie

5 Likes

6 Likes

I have mixed feelings on graffiti that gets preserved. We have a few iconic ones here in Austin, like this one

It has been vandalized a few times and then restored and i find that keeping it there forever kind of misses the point of the medium. That said if others want to go through the effort of keeping graffiti in a space for an indefinite amount of time go ahead

6 Likes

The only one that gets that type of respect is a Banksy.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Given what an intensely unpleasant looking building that is, I feel that the graffiti rather raises the tone of the premises. It could be cool if Marriott leans in to the building’s claim to popular history frame.

Receptionist, “Welcome to the Marriott Boner Forever.”

3 Likes

Thank you for the reminder to lift my spirits with some delightful Daniel Johnston.

6 Likes

Chicago used to have a fine mural titled “Plug Bug”. While it hasnt been demolished it is no longer visible due to the construction of a mall.

My kids loved Plug Bug

5 Likes

Later, it could be someone’s dissertation.

3 Likes

6 Likes