Philip Glass will score The Fantastic Four

A more appropriate title to this post might have been:
Phillip Glass Needs a New Vacation Home

the mortgages on those things can be killer!

As a lifelong comic fan, I have usually avoided superhero comics because of their straightjacketing of imagination to fit twee morality plays and elementary school playground politics. So an attempt to go beyond that would be welcome.

It works for me!

2 Likes

Ah ha! I knew it! I saw the trailer for this in the theater over the weekend and when I heard that music I spontaneously said aloud, “Phillip Glass!” It’s so recognizable! And the night before I had watched a DVD of another creative genius – Chuck Close, which featured his amazing giant portrait of Phillip Glass.

Here ya go.

I’m aware of all that.
I went with the reduction of the form to the genre that get’s over-indentified with it because getting to the joke without taking forever with caveats and explanations was more important to me.

Plus, a proper attempt to “go beyond that” would involve an adaptation of something outside of the corporate-owned-superhero genre, a comic property that is already outside of the box of " twee morality plays and elementary school playground politics," not an adaptation of the Fantastic Four.
(Just like people wanting comics with more mature subject matter would be better off picking up Love & Rockets or something instead of wishing they could get a comic where Batman says “fuck.”)
There’s a lot of stuff out there, the creators of which could better use the money.

1 Like

Knock Knock.
Who’s There?
Knock Knock.
Who’s There?
Knock Knock.
Who’s There?
Knock Knock.
Who’s There?

Philip Glass

Some of my favorite stuff. I’m still sad I’ve never seen it performed - there was a re-mount a few years back in (Denver? SF? Somewhere I was) and I kicked myself for missing it.

Berkeley.
http://calperformances.org/performances/2012-13/special-events/einstein-on-the-beach.php

Really should have had a longer run.

1 Like

Caught it at BAM the second time around, it was amazing. I don’t even know how much I paid for tickets, I just had to go.

It was like descending into the ocean and eventually coming up like six hours later with a sense of time passage but just being emotionally drained.

1 Like

[envy envy envy]

I was totally TAKE MY MONEY about it, except that I missed the on-sale announcement and then I think it turned out to conflict with a conference. Sigh.

I always thought Glass’ Heroes Symphony was very much a soundtrack to a superhero comic book, even though it features reinterpretations of Bowie and Eno tunes. It has that reoccurring theme of flight and a Wagnerian vibe pushed just a bit over-the-top like the high-contrast images and bright colors of a classic comic book. The version of V2 Schneider is most definitely an epic aerial battle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.