Marvel announces the casting of its upcoming Fantastic Four movie with Valentine's Day card

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/14/marvel-announces-the-casting-of-its-upcoming-fantastic-four-movie-with-valentines-day-card.html

1 Like

H.E.R.B.I.E., is that you?

3 Likes

Ooh, I hope those are the uniforms! I love when they take inspiration from the classic comics, even when they’re silly and practically impossible. I didn’t really feel Scarlet Witch until she went full mama bear goddess in WandaVision. And Loki with absurdly long horns? Sign me up!

6 Likes

I like this cast. I’m really curious about how they’re going to wedge them into the MCU.

5 Likes

I was just going to say that WandaVision shows they can do a period piece right. As an old person, I spent more time pointing out to my kids all the stuff I remembered than show elements.

I’ve disliked every F4 movie so far. I don’t even know why the first one annoyed me so much but I found the second one unwatchable. And the most recent one was so bad even the director disavowed it before release. Here’s to hoping for a good one.

8 Likes

FF in the swinging 60’s! The Menace of Doc Doom! Negative Zone! Time Machines! Sci-fi Shenanigans! Movie Magic! Boom! Doom escapes to the ‘future’ and battles the modern MCU (whatever that looks like now) as the big baddie. FF show up to save the day just in time for Galactus! Aaaaand another 10 years of build-ups, post-credit scenes, and sequels.

6 Likes

They’re definitely desperate to fill a Kang-sized hole right now. Although I did hear that Galactus is on his way and I am all in on that. Especially if we get a little Silver Surfer on the side.

6 Likes

I hope that Galactus wears his big hat and purple onesie.

5 Likes

I like each of these actors separately, but in these roles: “Nope!”. I remain highly sceptical that Marvel can pull this off considering their recent track record

I’m presently surprised by this casting selection, and the news it might be a 60’s period piece just feels right for both the group and trying to fit them into the MCU as it currently stands. I can see there either being some multi-verse or as previously mentioned, time-travel stuff used to justify why the group wasn’t around for the Battle of New York.

7 Likes

I guess that they do travel a lot; Atlantis, the Negative Zone, the Hollow Earth, the Blue Area, the Savage Lands, etc. Though, this doesn’t explain away the lack of the Baxter Building on the New York skyline.

1 Like

Between Loki and Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania they already gave that villain plenty of screen time and he was never as popular as Galactus or Doom anyway.

It wasn’t so long ago that a villain would get one movie, tops. Jack Nicholson’s Joker only had one appearance but it was a memorable one and that was enough.

5 Likes

Can Squirrel Girl and Tippy Toe show up to save the day?

MCU needs more squirrels.

4 Likes

The problem with bringing in Squirrel Girl to fight Galactus is that the conflict is over too quickly.

8 Likes

The MCU becomes a series of awesome shorts?

I’m in.

3 Likes

One can never have too many Squirrels. :smiley::chipmunk:

5 Likes

please, please, please, PLEASE, give us a really good portrayal of Surfer!

6 Likes

I really want to see her introduced to the MCU but I’m kind of glad they cancelled the New Warriors show where she was originally supposed to appear, especially after seeing leaked footage from the show:

I imagine Doreen Green is best suited to animated media, or properly funded CGI. :+1:

Yeah, that tail just doesn’t work as a practical effect. At all. It looks like a sequence from a fan-made short with someone showing off their Squirrel Girl cosplay outfit.

Though I will say Milana Vayntrub did nail the character’s voice and attitude in that “Marvel’s Squirrel Girl: The Unbeatable Radio Show!” podcast that dropped a couple years ago.

3 Likes