Philips promises new firmware to permit third-party lightbulbs

[Read the post]

1 Like

“We are working on the reversal of the upgrade and will shortly confirm when this will be available.”

3 Likes

Look! Twitter has a purpose! Edit: #fuckhue is an excellent hashtag.

9 Likes

lies, damn lies. they hoped the customers would accept it silently…

4 Likes

Must’ve talked to somebody at Keurig.

8 Likes

Could they publish the source code and be done with it?

There’s a lot of space on Github, and gits they are.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Considering how many other things we’ve accepted silently, it was a good bet. Just didn’t pan out this time.

6 Likes

And Martin Shkreli promised to reverse his price increase. The proof is in the pushing.

2 Likes

Lamps have firmware. That needs updating. I just want to be clear on this.

Something like that.

And they also have separate hubs to talk with them. (Which is the part that got the upgrade in question here. But lightbulbs with buggy firmware are already here. Welcome, future, we waited for you!)

Not lamps, just their bulbs. Lamps just hold bulbs and look decorative.

You can go the hybrid way, and build the guts of a smart bulb into the lamp, and use dumb bulbs.

I think the guts of a broken dimmable LED could be used for control of e.g. a regular incandescent lamp. Find the PWM output from the controller chip, hook it (directly or via an optocoupler, depends) to a FET that’s connected across a diode bridge in series with the lamp, and you’re in business.

…speaking of salvaging scrap, you can mix and match the fluorescent tubes and the CCFLs, as long as the power rating roughly matches. The CCFLs are a combo of an electronic ballast and the tube itself. Usually it is the tube that dies, usually by burning one of the two filaments; easy to detect by continuity tester. If that’s the case, the ballast is usually good. You can then match a functioning tube with a functioning ballast and have a free lamp. You can even use different kinds of tubes, e.g. those germicidal or blacklight ones; only the power rating has to match the ballast (and a 8-watt tube will work with a 9-watt ballast and vice versa, a small(!) mismatch is okay).

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if the article might be using the industry-jargon
definitions, where the bulb is an individual LED element, what most people
call the bulb is the lamp, and what most people call the lamp is the
luminaire. I can understand the bulb/lamp needing firmware, but not the
lamp/luminaire. I read the article as saying that the Philips luminaire had
firmware that rejected non-Philips lamps.

1 Like

[quote=“AnthonyC, post:14, topic:70793”]
I read the article as saying that the Philips luminaire had
firmware that rejected non-Philips lamps.
[/quote]No, just the software that communicates to the bulbs, they’re currently refusing to play nice with other smart home systems.

You are correct, luminares should not need firmware, just power and a control signal…

I believe the technical term is dimbulbs.

It’s those “energy-efficient” ones. The CCFL crap, mostly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.