Photo of murmuration of starlings looks like a giant starling

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/08/photo-of-murmuration-of-starli.html

5 Likes

Eh, looks more like a robin to me.

5 Likes

I was going to say it looks like a mallard.

4 Likes

That’s one flocking elegant algorithm.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I was going to say it looks like my parents fighting.

4 Likes

Emergent behavior basically created a birbception. /rimshot

2 Likes
3 Likes

He’s rebuilding his site,

Photo: good timing.

4 Likes

What happened to all the starlings, anyway? There used to be hundreds of them about when I was a kid. Never see any these days.

1 Like

Lack of food. Pesticides and landscapes cleared of structural elements. Insect biomass in central western Europe fell by 70% since the 1980.

Remember those bugs on the windscreen?

7 Likes

I worked on a large industrial automation project in the 90s that was inspired by stigmergic flocking and schooling behaviors. Weirdly, until then I was mostly oblivious to the vast movements of birds from their nesting areas in the remaining Delaware swamps to their feeding areas every night; in the summertime there are seemingly endless sky-rivers of millions and millions of birds… I knew they were there, I’d just never thought about it. It’s very beautiful to me now.

6 Likes

Cool, thanks, but here’s a much better version!

1 Like

Woah. You’re right.

1 Like

They usually look like boobs to me.

Surely you’re thinking of a different bird?

3 Likes

This actually made national news in Germany, and for more than just hiccup:

We’ll see if this leads to any change in policies and best practice. I doubt it, very much.

But everyone remembers this alleged Einstein quote about the bees, right?

We are so fucked if I’m not really mistaken…

ETA: haven’t read/listened to this, but leave it here for future reference:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.